Windtura 500 Wire Size

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TomT, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

So what we got going on here is .

Resistance is constant. Less is better. Less braking effect at startup.

To push 1 amp down the wire you need x amount of voltage from the generator to get to the battery.
    The faster the blades go the more torque to get there. While this is going on there is a balance within the generator happening all the time. Blades faster. Current goes up. Voltage drops.Voltage increases in generator. Overcomes loss. Increases current. More voltage loss. Increase in voltage from generator.

And so on....

2. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

thanks Windy on the E bay # 8 wire link

2 roles on their way to Canada prepping for this winters mega project(s)

murray

3. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Murray,
    I am not sure how UV resistant the insulation on that wire is. I would do your best to keep it out of direct sunlight. It might be just fine in the sun but better to play it safe.

4. murray2paddles

Windy,
    thanks for the info,, will encase the wire in 3/4 in tubing.

Looking forward to reading reports on Tom's testing !

murray

5. mark99

mark99 WindyNation Engineer

Tom, Thanks for replying.The 12-3 info is worth a lot.I will check in the next few weeks and post my results. Mark

6. TomT

In light of the new postings from Murray2paddles. I am now beginning to believe I have more than one problem.
    I am really busy cleaning out a house that was condemned for unsanitary reasons right now.
    But when I have a chance I will build a wind vane and check to make sure that the turbine is directly in the wind and not running in a slight furling position from the start.
    By the way Murray. I clocked 15 mph winds last night and 4 amps output. Most I saw all night and some gusts were to 32 mph and an output of 4.4 amps. :eek:
    It is the only thing left. New generator,bigger wire, and not even turbulent wind last night it was from a direction with no trees. :rolleyes:

7. murray2paddles

heck Tom, man I just don.t know what to say.

I am doubtful about the furling being in a pre furling mode and limiting your amps. Even when my mounts begin to furl they are still giving a good power output, even when full furled they are still spinning and do not stall.

I would be looking at tower height and if roof slope is directing your wind away from the turbine before it can reach the blades. Other than that I guess the only thing left is from where your wire reaches the rectifier , V control, dump load and condition of batteries.

If we lived closer I would take my whole unit apart and down and just take it too your house and then see what happens.
    Tom, I am still working on transferring that wire diagram too you so you can advise me on how to wire up that amp meter and shunt.

murray

8. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

its to light tom.I bet it spins side to side alot(not around) and nevers stays directly in the wind...I have read that in one of the back issues of Home power that a heavier turbine is more efficient that the same setup on a lighter model.You just have to compensate with the tail placement and size...Watch it in high winds and let me know what you observe...

9. TomT

Well it weighs 70lbs and the tail is 12lbs of it.

10. teresap989

teresap989 WindyNation Engineer

I am not really mad about the situation. Unless you open everyone that is sent out. You would have no way of knowing. This is a mfg thing not yours and just trying to help others out. I just have really been trying to find out why it was not working before winter gets here.

11. TomT

Going to make this short.

I found out that I got 30 inch blades with the first motor. :eek:

So now I have 3 35 inch Wind Grabber blades on a large hub installed. I also ran 6 gauge wire the whole 35 ft from turbine to rectifier. Which gets me to the 5% loss on my wire as I said and showed earlier.

Now waiting for the wind to kick up in the next few days.

Will report back.

12. TomT

Light wind Yesterday...... Watched the blades turning approx 30RPM for quite awhile. :D
    Boy has this turbine loosened up since the last change.

Today a little higher wind and it is chugging along at 2-5 amps all morning. :D :D Seems to be close to Windy Nations power graph. Also sat at 5 amps for close to minute. Never did that before. Most was a couple seconds.:geek:

Will watch it some more then will try Series Capacitors on it again and let everyone know how that goes. They tell me it will take a lot to get it to work. Tried 235mF 400v already and lost 2/3 power from them. Now going to try 1250mF 200v . More reports later.