Windtura 500 Wire Size

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TomT, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Windy Guru,

I am not really mad about the situation. Unless you open everyone that is sent out. You would have no way of knowing. This is a mfg thing not yours and just trying to help others out. I just have really been trying to find out why it was not working before winter gets here.

2. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Bluejay,
    The smiley face at the end of my sentence about the forum was there to imply I was poking fun at the situation.

Tom,
    You do not need to send the PMA back. We are going to send you another one.

3. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

So tom you say there is very little magnetism on the ends? Got some calipers? What is the shaft OD and the maximum OD the ring magnet could be. How thick could the magnet be?..Could you imagine being able to get a wind blue magnet on each end of the rotor. You would have to gear it and run 10-16 ft blades :D Looks like alot of copper in there and not so much for magnets..

4. bluejay

Windy its always hard to judge someones tone or sarcasim thru text..Its all good...

5. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

I don't know crap about magnets and wiring but if I wanted more power than what my 500 was producing i would leave it alone and go buy a 750 or 1kw. :eek: :lol: :roll: :twisted:

now I wonder what those little faces are saying.. lol

Tom good to hear that you are going to get a new turbine, now you will be able to use 12 * 3 wire with no problem.

murray

6. TomT

Well thats Josh for you. Just joshing us. That is what I thought when he put that he was kidding us.
    I have the bearings ready and have got it cleaned up and all painted with green corrosion resistance paint.
    The only reason for that is just to see if rust was truly what the problem is for the braking effect. And I will check the output and torque between the two . Then I will post the results.
    As soon as I get the new one up I will post what is going on.

7. windyguru

Tom,

I have a sample of one these liquid tight bushings coming. If it works as they claim, I will put it on all the PMA's. It is supposed to make a water tight seal.

http://www.heyco.com/products/sec_02/pdf/2-10.pdf

I just started searching for something like this today because the wire exit hole would be the only place I could see water getting in. If they work better than a grommet, I will send them out to whoever wants one.

8. bluejay

And where to buy a 1kw permanet magnet motor with ac? Does windynation sell this?It would weigh more than 50lbs i would assume..More copper needs more magnetic force to spin a field to push those electrons and overcome reistance...

9. TomT

While looking at the photos of my windings and windy nations pma windings. I found the problem. I think the one I have is a single phase motor not a 3 phase generator.
    The windings in mine are layered all the way around. Which when spun will require 3 times the torque of the 3 phase model and produce a single sine wave. Windys are staggered and layered. Which gives you 3 wave forms that are spaced apart. A lot less torque to turn.

10. bluejay

I too have figured out my problem and I believe the new gear ratio will fix it this time..It was hard earned thats for sure...I will have it changed by next week hopefully..

11. TomT

My new Windtura 500 will be here later this week.
    I will post more as I test it out. :geek:

12. TomT

New generator is in. :D

[attachment=0:3ts4ytpl]GeneratorTest.png[/attachment:3ts4ytpl]

Attached Files:

13. TomT

Windy,

When you can make that 100ft 12-3 wire to see how much it changes the furling point. :geek:

I just tried 50ft and 100ft 12-3 wire and tested it.

50ft 12-3 wire I saw amps go from 15 to 10 with the geared drill and a little more torque to get there.

100ft 12-3 wire I saw amps stay at 10 with the geared drill and more torque still needed. Still at about 3/4 of what it was with the old one.

Would think amps would go down but it does not. :eek:

14. mark99

mark99 WindyNation Engineer

Tom, I saw that you lost 5 amps by adding the 12-3 at 50 feet.I was wondering if you had any #10 wire around. I would like to know what size wire you could use and still be pratical to acheve no amp loss at 50 feet.This would be in the range of most towers the average do it your selfer would put up. This is good stuff you are doing.I should have checked this my self.These units are so cool that when you get them you just want to get them in the air.I am sorry you had a problem off the line but the way you think and your willingness to share infomation is good for all of us.Thank you for shareing.If you do not have access to any #10 wire thats cool, the idea is whats really importain.The next time I have my windmill down I will post information. Thanks Mark

15. murray2paddles

Mark,
    I agree with you on the work Tom is doing with the wire. It is what I should have been doing also, but in too much of a hurry to just get the towers up. I am getting decent amps with the 12 * 3 but if
    Toms testing proves it can be better with limited expense, I will get right at it.

Took my amp readings just before I posted, will attach a pic. I have no complaints but like I said, willing to change what ever needs to be done. thanks again Tom for all the work and letting us know.
    murray

[attachment=0:1qmee0lg]dc volts.jpg[/attachment:1qmee0lg]

Attached Files:

16. windyguru

Hi Tom,
    I will do the tests as soon as I can. We basically need an entire free day to do these tests properly. I think we can do it next weekend.

I do have some 8 gauge wire also. I probably have enough 8 gauge to run about 60 feet (3 times). It will be interesting to see how the #12 and #8 wire compare with respect to amps.

BTW, 250 feet of 8 gauge stranded car audio wire can be purchased on ebay for around 63 bucks with free shipping. That's only about 25 cents a foot :D

17. bluejay

From my reading Tom,Volts are the push energy and the loss would be falling voltage primary and amps fall would trail slower...

18. murray2paddles

Windy, please post the ebay link on the # 8 wire, can't find it.
    thanks,

19. windyguru

20. TomT

mark99,

All I had was 12-3 and 6-3 laying around no 10 ga.