why not a pine tree?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by fixitguy, Mar 5, 2011.

1. fixitguy

fixitguy WindyNation Engineer

i have this 80 foot southern pine in my backyard.its 20 feet away from where my batterybank room is.i have a buddy with a buckettruck that can set the turbine with 20 foot of 2 1/2" pipe on top.

Attached Files:

2. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Don't forget the lightning protection, down-cable and ground rod.
    I would imagine it will move around a bit but it shouldn't fall down if the tree is kept healthy in the process.
    Get as high above as you dare, I believe 30' above is the recommended dosage.

timber

3. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

I'd cut all the branches off so it would not sway much, but the idea I think is viable. Worth experimenting.

4. timber

Cut all the branches off and you'll kill the tree, kill the tree and it will soon decay and become worthless, especially near the top where you need the height/ support.
    Not sure what part of the country this is in but there are no doubt insects, worms, birds etc. that thrive and prey on dead wood and larvae etc. A living tree is resistant to these species. Even kiln dried pine is susceptible to decay/ rot in short order if not treated or painted. I'd keep it living or if you must, cut it down and place a tower in it's place.

2ยข,
    timber

5. fixitguy

fixitguy WindyNation Engineer

your right Timber even to thin out the tops of a southern pine will kill it.thats where its livelyhood replenishes from.

6. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

7. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

[attachment=0:29uz8686]leamy Tree mount turbine.jpg[/attachment:29uz8686]

Something like this?? :D

Attached Files:

8. timber

Hi AndyR,

Grounding throughout the system is highly recommended and required by code, I use an 5/8" x 8' copper-clad ground rod driven into the soil the full 8', ground rod clamps and heavy duty copper wire specifically for grounding.
    Ground and lightning rods, not to mention properly sized multi-strand copper down cable are a tad expensive but could save a lot of expensive equipment and help prevent a house fire.

Probably money well spent, Especially if you live in a lightning prone area.
    Requirement vary greatly, depending on height of tower etc.

Hope this helps,

timber

9. timber

I like that shot Larry, it's a classic for sure ... hey, we do what we have to to make it happen, right?
    I'm guessing that your pole actually goes down to the ground on this one even though it looks like it's perch mounted right up top there. What is that, four turbines you've got running now? Probably some solar as well?
    Enjoy your video(s) of your grid-tie work.

timber