"Twin Mill" with 2 Windy Nation 500 PMA's and 35" 3 blade

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by InstallerDude, Sep 23, 2010.

1. InstallerDude

InstallerDude WindyNation Engineer

This is a dual motor/blade-set turbine I am working on. It features an auto-correcting/anti-sway tail and fixed wing platform with the motors wired in series. The framing is made from Aluminum and the tail is Lexan.

Attached Files:

2. BeachBum

BeachBum WindyNation Engineer

Very impressive setup. What part of the country are you in? Is that salt water in the distance? Just trying to understand what looks like a bridge rectifier on the tower, how does that play into your system? Are you converting from AC to DC on the tower? What advantage does that give you? What are you powering with this, a battery bank or an inverter. I'm not criticizing, just trying to learn from your knowledge and experience. Thanks for you patience with my dumb questions?
    Thanks, BeachBum

3. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Great looking. :eek:
    How long has it been up?
    What kind of winds has it been through ?

4. InstallerDude

I live in AK... We typically see very high winds here... In fact, Chignik, the name of the community I live in, stands for "great wind". What you see is salt water... The turbine is mounted to my test platform which is about 8 feet from the peak of my house. My house stands about 20 feet at the peak. Unfortunately, I was limited on slip-ring slots and had to rectify the AC coming from the motors before sending it down the tower. If only they made a heavy-duty 6- wire slip ring....

The turbine has been up for quite awhile now, and I am anticipating the day when I put it on the bluff behind my house. It has seen winds of 50+ mph to date. I have already installed a single Windy Nation 500 PMA Home-built turbine on a 25 foot pole on this bluff and have seen significant increases in energy production over the test- stand. Being that the twin turbine is wired in series, it only takes half the rotational speed of each motor to reach 24 volts.

I will be posting photos of the rest of my alternative energy system, as I have already installed 4 wind turbines and have plans to put up 2 more.

5. mark99

mark99 WindyNation Engineer

InstallerDude, I would like to know more about how your auto correcting tail system works.It looks like you have a rudder on the tail.What drives it and how does it sense the wind direction.This is a great idea and could pull more power out of the unit. Thanks Mark

6. InstallerDude

The top part of the tail is the control lever... it is attached to the tail rudder. As wind passes over the control lever, it moves it in the direction the wind is coming from, as you can see it is hinged on the forward most portion of it. The direction of throw is opposite of that of the rudder. After watching the "twin mill" for awhile, I came up with this idea, dont know if has been used before, but it works very well.

7. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

I salute people like you installer dude that engineer things they need/want.Impressive and I am sure we would all like some stats on what that produces in various wind speeds. :geek: :mrgreen: