TLG 500 VS WINDTURA 750 VS NEW WINDY NATION PMA

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by kooks, Mar 22, 2012.

1. After being duped on the internet into buying a useless 1000w wind turbine which barely produces 6 volts, I have decided to buy a complete system from a reputable seller. Can anyone help make the decision comparing the the performance of the above wind turbines for use with a 12 volt system with perhaps a grid tied inverter in 10 -12 mph wind zone.
    Thanks

2. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

What did you buy originally (1000w unit), if I may ask?

As for TLG500 vs WN750, the WN is larger, will produce far more power (proven at twice the power at 20 mph), has built-in furling protection, and costs far less.

The New SuperAmp version of the WN750, which will be out next month, is the one to get for 12V, imo. The normal 750 PMA is best suited for 24V systems. Here is what the kit looks like (a customer video):

TLG500WN750.jpg
    The TLG data is from the TLG website - actual customer data.​

There is no reason to get the TLG500 unless for some reason you'd rather have a small unit. It only has a 5-foot rotor, but is by far the best unit in its size class.

TomT likes this.
  3. The 1000 watt unit was a converted blower motor!
    What will be the price of the new super amp 750? Is it available for prebuy? Would you recommend the 5 blade set with it in a low wind zone? And finally does a 12 volt or a 24 volt system work better with grid tie inverter 10.8-28V ?

4. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

What will be the price of the new super amp 750? - Only WindyNation can answer that.
    Is it available for prebuy? - Only WindyNation can answer that.
    Would you recommend the 5 blade set with it in a low wind zone? - describe your setup; how high up, how close to obstructions, what is your general location ...
    And finally does a 12 volt or a 24 volt system work better with grid tie inverter 10.8-28V ? - Keep in mind the above chart is a 12V case, as you said that is what you had. The normal 750 is a 24V case and does better than the SuperAmp so it would do the best overall with a GTI.

5. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

The SuperAmp will reach a rectified voltage of 12 VDC at approximately 240 rpm. From my perspective, it is not a high rpm unit or a low rpm unit. It is a generator that has been optimized to charge a 12 volt system using our WindGrabber 3-Blade Set. Charging begins in a clean 7 mph wind.

The SuperAmp will be available for shipment in 15-20 days.

The price will be $999.98 just like the Complete Windtura 750. Note that a ~$50 price increase will be coming in the not so distant future for the Complete Wind Turbines (Both the SuperAmp and the Windtura 750).

Is it available for prebuy? Sure, but if you wait about 2 weeks you can buy it and have it shipped the next day.

Lastly, I would say that the SuperAmp is a real powerhouse. For 12 volt systems, it really produces a lot of current.

6. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

I had to delete some posts as they were factually incorrect.