Thank you Windy Nation!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bluejay, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Well A geared unit with a furling tail is the key,,The volts are quick changing and it needs some decent wind to get over 22v for output.A 12v system would put out low wind watts but from my experience it caps your high wind out put....

If tom makes that unit that kicks the 12v GTs out when the wind gets higher and a 24v system would be more effiecient...Your on to some key efficient total watts produced..

I would like to see bigger blades and more weight added to the hub for inertia mass, really smooths out the output. The volts dont bounce fast or drop fast that way..

What we need is a planetary gear set that would bolt to the motor case and have the hub fit the other side for the blades. Clean and a mechanical advantage...

2. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Hi Bluejay,

Maybe one of these days I can get some hints on your gearing.
    I'm more interested in getting what I can from the lower speed winds so may consider gearing at some point in the future.
    I would guess that gear ratio is a bit of a balancing act depending on average wind speeds and desired start-up speed but some of your experience in this department would come in handy.
    If I do ever go this route I think I would use synchronous belt instead of chain or meshing gears to reduce friction but the ratios would still apply.

Dave

3. bluejay

Well crazy winds came back,didnt get much sleep. All day yesterday the wind was 20-30 mph. I seen it furl only two times yesterday.The wind was so strong it actually would move you at times while outside. Last night the roar of the train was outside off and on.The tail needs to be a little bigger to compensate for the 5lbs on it and the larger blades BUT IT is still standing!The news said gusts over 60mph so here that would be around 75ish last night.It was 82F yesterday and 43F now..wow
    It put out 4kwh hours in the last 24 hours with the average 300w and a seen high of 512w. not bad for DIRECT DRIVE. :D

I have seen that you need batteries need to hold a charge good to get high output all the time..I need to get a 24v desulfalator as these new agm 7.5 amp hours still lose voltage when sitting overnight with no input,usually about 3-4 volt drop..They were dusty when I bought them so you know they were there a while. Or I find a trickle charger and use the 12v desulfalator on each seperately but it makes more sense to run desulf with real time charging..

never went over 26 volts most of the day and only seen the diversion kick on(have a light along with the resistors) later in the evening

4. bluejay

Already broke,spinning like crazy with no out put even at the base...Knew I should of eliminated that small wattage slip ring setup :x

5. bluejay

It started working again about 3 hours later once it turned...I am baffeled? It was freewheeling so it wasnt shorted ever and ALL 3 legs showed no volts while it was not working..My tower buddy will be around tomorrow and its the last nice day so I will swing the tail around with a long pole till it stops so he can go up the other side and remove the tail and tie it off..

In the future I need the one 12 g cord to come down further(under blades reach) befor each wire legs off to its own cord to run into the house(lowers resistance)..

Keep you all updated...

I hope all of you are learning from this so at least I know I have helped further our cause :D :lol:

She survived crazy winds though :p :D Saw 20+amps :D

6. bluejay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ET-31M5kFw

It doesnt furl until 30-40 mph,so maximium production is reached...Windys slip rings are the only equipment that I have bought from them that i consider a inferior product and should be either redisigned with wire that can handle 30+ amps or pull it.

I guess if you guys want to use little blades for little watts,it shall work fine.. BUT..low volts + high amps = HEAT

7. bluejay

Holy shiznit boys! I spent the big dollars and bought double insulated 10 guage wire to hang thru and connect to the 3 -12 gauge cords. I seen 821 watts in a gust today Damn this is direct drive with 8.4 ft blades..I ran my batteries with a desulfalator hooked to the solar and are fully charged. It is constantly making 300-400w today and should be only about 150-250 in this wind.

The slip ring wont spin and sounds like its melted or burnt inside also. CUT THOSE SPAGHETTI wires Boys,they are only giving you backed up resistance.!

8. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Hi Blue,
    Can you be more specific. Are you saying you are using #10 wire from the PmA connection wires down to the recitiier?
    Thanks
    Larry

9. bluejay

Leamy, i am using one 10 gauge cord from the pma connections on the back with 8 ft (to get low enough to clear blades if I need to work on the connection...

Then each wire in that 10 g goes to its own 3 wires of 12 g into the house> rectifier..Alot of copper.. I seen many blimps over 650 and watched the 800w blimp shut down and restart(furling)..It actually could use alittle less than the 5lbs to furl safely around 30 but I will take my chances and keep it like this..Looks like a fish out of water piching together around 40 ish mph..

10. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Good adjustment Blue. I agree that using a 20 to 30 amp wire off the PMA for 3 phase is a good idea. Also keep in mind that A/c to D/C is 10:1 ratio.
    Good readings bro. Looks like you are getting good results with direct drive, nice size blades, wind speeds and wiring.
    Thanks for the info.