Thank you Windy Nation!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bluejay, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Sorry Mur just noticed you said only a pound and a half...So your saying just putting it further away from the fulcrum point works?..Seems like it would only be a weight issue but I guess that would make it have more friction in the pivot point as the weight was put further away..

You should offer just the tail kit also so if someone wanted to change stuff they could tweak a tail then just carry up and slide the new one on and bring the spare indoors...

2. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Hi Bluejay,

Since Murray tuned the tail weight for the 5-blade setup using 1.5 lbs placed along the arm this should be similar in weight and help account for your larger wind swept area. Being able to fine tune by changing the position along the tail arm seems a very good method to get it dialed in. Maybe a piece of rebar, bar steel or pipe held in place along the arm with 3-4 hose clamps would do the trick for getting it tuned in. Once you have the right weight per windspeed furl ratio then you could make something more permanent or just paint the balance to match the tail.

Dave

3. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

No science behind using 1 1/2 lb. ( as long as it is heavy enough) yes I just used electrical tape to attach it so I could easily undo it and move to the next setting. Then I was going to attach permanent. It's still working and it is still just taped :lol:
    I have some beautiful 12 ft sweep wooden blades I made for my new 2kw turbine, BUT I agree with you on your comment of why make them when you can purchase fully balanced glass blades and they are inexpensive !

Did you get the hub with the blades ( are they from magnets) if so what did you do to match the shaft size ?

I am looking forward to seeing it up !

4. bluejay

Mur I will take a pic of the hardware needed to make the larger tapered hub to fit safely.
    Last time I used 3 bolts drilled and tapped to lock it on,now there is a flanged plumbing piece that hammers on and provides a true backplate to torque to.
    My new vinyl mascots,gotta have some color to them!
    [​IMG]

5. bluejay

[​IMG]

3/4 copper flange,gets hammered with another straight 3/4 copper pipe as far up the WN pma shaft as it will go.
    The 5/8 brass bushing is optional, just make sure the hub is tight (squared up to the flange) before tightening the nut

the brass fits over the threads and take alot of slop out of it but might need to be shortened so it doesnt bottom out on the back thread shoulder...

6. bluejay

Mur, this works very well with the small blade set from CMS. The 9.6 blade set would work but the tapered hole is bigger and starts to get more sloppy if it loosened for any reason. 3 holes drilled and tapped would lock the hub to the shaft after tightening the bolts down(or allen set screws)

7. murray2paddles

Thanks Blue, really appreciate the hub / shaft info .
    Neat looking logo ! Gives some life to that tail .

8. timber

Great work, Tail looks great, looks like a tough bird ready to flip ... er ... a ... furl.

timber

9. bluejay

Went with 5 lbs with a clean look next to the pivot point...Tape, Hope there isnt a windshield or windshield with in catching range of that pipe when the glue dissolves :lol: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What the flange looks like hammered into place...

She will be flying by tomorrow afternoon...I got the guide wires cinched down that are long into the crete and should be just fine. I used 4 corners(verse a triangle layout) and just doubled the 3rd leg in the front up.tension pulling to both sides :D

10. bluejay

windshield or windows..Be glad when we can edit...

11. murray2paddles

Your weight does look like it belongs there. Now when you put it up and found that it furls at 28 rather than 35 can you disconnect your weight and move it, or what would your next step be ?

That pic of the shaft is even better for me to learn from. Thanks.

Blue what I would really like to try when my 1kw & 2kw WN arrive is to get some Effsun blades for the Effsun turbines and be done with it.

You notice I have not said anything about you using guy wires :lol:
    But I am glad you are cause I want to see all your hard work stay up and working for you !

Are you using the lattice tower for this one and will you be climbing or remodeling to have a winch up / down tower ?

12. bluejay

13. murray2paddles

Checked out the Vid, looks awesome .
    Best looking turbine with lots of Windy's parts I have seen so far !

14. bluejay

Hey mur, You can order 1000w 48v Gens from effsun for around 550 shipped or 450 if you buy five or more..Windy needs to carry the 1000w and charge around 600+ actual shipping..Just an idea boys :D :mrgreen:

15. murray2paddles

I have two 1kw Effsun and one 2kw Effsun coming in. I waited so the shipping would be cheaper coming in with Josh's big turbine order by boat.
    If everything goes good I hope to have them all up this year .

16. bluejay

Mur, Is the bolt pattern the same and the units just LONGER(more copper magnets)..Wondering if the 1kw will fit windys frames?

17. murray2paddles

I wish I could answer you on that, I was asking those same questions for over a year now, even the shaft size, Josh as asked them again for me and waiting for a response .
    I needed that info to plan my mount and even to set up blades and a hub we have been talking about .

As soon as I learn, will let you know right away. Would be good if the hole pattern was the same. But if not, out with the drill press or the torches . :roll:

18. timber

http://www.effsun.com/products/generato ... 19/73.html

May not tell you much, I didn't see any data other than on the page but the bolt pattern uses 4 bolts on the 1k.
    Might get them to give you some info. via chat or email regarding that if you haven't tried already.

Dave

19. murray2paddles

Thanks Dave, if you notice the post above it was mentioned that contact had been made before and Josh is requesting again. These units have been purchased and delivery will be soon then I Will share real info with everyone !

20. timber

Hey Murray,

Ya, I'm curious, the 1k looks like it's bigger and built stout but there's nothing there to compare size.
    It will be interesting to follow your experiences with these, are you going to setup, test and analyze the 1k then 2k later?
    I thought I even heard mention a 5k at some point in the future also.
    I will imagine fabrication, setup and testing become a bit more difficult as size and certainly weight increase.
    I know you will but be safe and check everything twice, it's time well spent, as you know.

Take Care ... keep us posted,

Dave