Thank you Windy Nation!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bluejay, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

I just recieved my furling tail/frame and the first coat of white paint is drying as we speak. I will be ordering another next week and will be only putting up one geared unit in the future (after observing the furl action on these) but it will be at least a 6kw motor or bigger..

I plan on my own blades that I use (9.6 great low wind start up) and will need to observe if I need more weight on the tail but these units look of high quality!

Only gripe is I wish you would send out tracking info on the orders..

I have 6 towers that will need these furling tails over the summer :D

2. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Hi Bluejay,

Congrats on the new frame(s), it will be great having that furling action work correctly.

Dave

3. bluejay

[​IMG]

With 8.4 ft blades(diameter)..I know it wont put out as much as the geared units but if it survives my winds here I will be putting up many of these for the new company Bluehawk energy,, I started :D

4. fixitguy

fixitguy WindyNation Engineer

thats a nice rig.am i seeing things or is the furl pivot simply twisted to the right?

5. fixitguy

how about a behind pic...

6. bluejay

Yes it is tilted to the right a few degrees...The cone for the 8.4 is bigger and attaches different then the hub of the 9.6..It looks alittle funny to me..

The wires at the bottom of there swivel anti slip unit needs to be longer. I will have to splice in a extra amount to be long enough for the pipe. Just dont like the idea of more connections..The wires supplied are very small(16 g?) would mean 12v would be more inefficient than running 24v systems so keep that in mind if you are not happy with the output.

I had a 9.6 unit that ran a few weeks before overspeed destruction and saw 50 to 300w as a norm. I am waiting for warm weather for concrete work for tower bases with concreted guide wire bases...[​IMG]

7. fixitguy

$350 for that ...WOWZERZ

8. fixitguy

9. fixitguy

who's gorilla welded that...i mean come on

10. bluejay

I like the quality and not to mention NO ONE offers a furling tail frame.. I think its fair as long as it does what its suppose to in very high winds...

11. timber

It's a robotically welded unit Fixitguy.
    For those of us who do not weld it's an option.
    I think what's nice about this frame is that it's engineered to work well with the Windtura 500 or the 750.
    Avoids a lot of trial and error for those who want an off the shelf package that just works.
    I don't have one but then again, I like to tinker so made my own from scraps in the shop.
    Only time will tell if it will work well.

Dave

12. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Great work Blue, unit looks assume man.
    I like the look of those blades and cone !

No kidding after you get bit up in the air that cone will look good to you !

I have two furling mount systems from WN . So the negative comment regarding the welds does not even rate a response !

13. timber

Hi Bluejay ... or should I say BlueHawk,

Perhaps I missed something but what blades are you using, they sure are "purdy"!
    My ultimate goal would be to carve some blades similar to those from laminated cedar,
    they look like they will start in low wind as well as really fly during high winds.
    Ditto, nice work!

Dave

14. bluejay

Timber ,these blades can be bought for under 150,why try to produce 3 identical carved and balanced blades for that price? The chance of wood(will absorb water over time even if sealed) hand carved blades running true is very low..

I should have this flying by the end of the weekend,we are having snow/sleet for a few more days. I will post a video once its up..

15. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Bluejay,

Looks good. A couple of comments. You should consider adding weight toward the back of the yaw mount. It appears that your blade set weighs significantly more than our 3-blade WindGrabber set which is what this mount was balanced for. I am concerned that without adding counter balancing weight your wind turbine will lean forward due to the added weight in the front. Something to consider.

Also, because your blades are heavier and longer than the WindGrabbers, I think that the furling mount will want to furl in lighter winds. Keep an eye on it. You can always add weight to the tail to keep it from furling. You might have to play around with this a little as you might see your turbine furling in 18 mph winds with those blades!

16. murray2paddles

My 750 experienced that due to using the 5 blade . The mount pipe was also forward on the underside of the mount plate to compensate for he extra weight of blades / hub and turbine. My furl would start @ approx 18 mph

I added a 1/2 lb piece of metal tubing ( taped it on) to the tail section and kept moving it back til I found the mph furl fo my set up. Works great !

17. murray2paddles

That should have read 1 1/2 lb. Metal tube

18. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Nice Job Blue. Can not wait to see it flying.

19. fixitguy

sorry windy nation for dising your welds.at first glance i THOUGHT i saw a bad weld.i should have held my tounge and took different views before posting.that really is a nice unit...but still.the $ is kinda up there.

20. bluejay

If the slip ring wasnt used I could put a inch pipe inside the 1 1/2 pipe and a 12/3 wire still fits and doesnt ever seem to of twisted. This would make the mount the strongest point. more so than the rohn 20/25 legs. But with the slip ring you have to have at least a foot of hollow 1 1/2 pipe..

How much weight should I add at a time 1 lb or a few at a time? I am sure there is a point of blade size that a larger tail would be needed? I dont want ti to furl till around 35-40 mph, I know these blades survive that just fine...

Thinking predrilled steel that would go over the tail bolts would be the ideal way to add weight :mrgreen: