tail size

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by john b, Jan 12, 2011.

1. john b

john b WindyNation Engineer

is there a formula for area needed for the tail. i plan on having the tail back from the pivot point about one half the diameter of the turbine and will be of the self furling design.so. about 80 in tubine . 1.4 in offset, 40 in tail shaft and 10 lb weight

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

That is basically what I came up with for mine.

3. john b

tom, what is the area of your tail?

4. TomT

2 ft by 2 ft

5. john b

thanks tom, that is the last bit of info i needed. will probably not get it up till fall but that gives me time to make all the parts.
    just curious, but did you ever hear of a wind generator with two tubines on the same shaft, a push me pull me geared system.
    where would the tail go? up above or dog legged down below.
    john b

6. TomT

This is the only one I have seen online. It a Selsam Turbine.
    [attachment=0:34vdqvjd]CalTwinSunJaimeenhanced75%.jpg[/attachment:34vdqvjd]

Attached Files:

7. WindyFAQ

WindyFAQ WindyNation FAQ Staff Member

I have purchased the 35" windgrabber blades for my home-built unit and I am wondering your reccommendations for the length and area of the tail.

8. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

I can give you some rough dimensions. Something around 30 inches long. 12 inches wide in the center and have it taper to about 4 inches wide on the edges. Have the tail be about 35 inches behind the tower.

These are approximate dimensions and will change based on the total weight and center of mass location of your wind turbine.