Sun G wind grid tie inverter

Discussion in 'Connecting to the Grid' started by Southpaw, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,

I am currently working on my first attempt at a wind turbine and having a inverter issue that hopefully some of you can help with. I'm starting with small dc motors to get my feet wet, one is an ametek 30 volt another is a bodine 130 volt 250 rpm 1/4 hp. Both are in good working order, producing good voltage. The problem I'm having is with the inverter. It's a Sun G wind rated 500watt grid tie inverter. When it is all hooked up in place with blades turning, the inverter isnt loading the motor or producing any watts. When I take it down to test it on the ground I find it works, but is very finicky. If I spin the motor with a drill and start out very slowly it will load the motor and produce watts, but if I do it any differently it instantly lets the motor freewheel. It works properly as far as overvolt is concerned but not to well otherwise. Do I need to use a charge controller, or battery to clamp the voltage? Ive been researching to try to figure this out but I'm not having much luck. I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something since its all new to me, at this point I have no idea which direction to go... Thanks in advance

2. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

3. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

How many watts do you show on the drill? You need to hook it up to a amp meter and see what it puts out on the drill.. It might be one of the high rpm needed motors to see even a amp or so? I use all sun-gs and never seen this..do the green light s light up when volts are hit?

4. Hi guys thanks for the responses. The inverter is the 10.8-30 volt model. With the drill turning 300 rpm's it's producing about 65 watts, if I try to speed it up the inverter just lets it freewheel. Haven't checked amps but will tomorrow. The lights do light up, they are a bit dim but working. Do you think the inverter is just defective?

5. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

So if the 3 leds on the GT light up but it doesnt feed and the volts are there,then it must be bad..write the seller on how to have it exchanged or fixed...

6. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Chiming in:
    Your PMA may be putting your GTI in an over volt mode. You should hear a clicking noise after your 65 watts or at overvolt. You have a high volt PMA for such a low volt inverter, my thoughs are the inverter can not hold back or load down the PMA. Your solution is to use a 22-60v or try battery clamping at 24v first with your 10-30v to see what you can get.
    I hope this helps

7. leamywind1

8. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Larry I agree that his PMA may produce too high of volts for this inverter but right at the moment he is drill testing.
    Southpaw sometimes those Sun G have a faulty dump load . Try this to check it out. Using a volt meter attach the neg lead to the neg input on the inverter, then with your drill running slowly touch the positive input terminal on the inverter and check your reading, then touch the pos on the dump load and check your reading . It should read the same , the pos dump is active all the time. If you had a reading on the pos dump load now attach your pos lead from the V meter to the positive on the dump load, then spin the drill again slowly and now touch the neg lead to the neg post for your dump load .

If there is no reading on your volt meter that is good, so far it's working. Now keep increasing your drill speed to go over those 65 watts and when or if the watts drop off see if you are now getting a reading from your dump load. If you are ,, back it goes for a replacement. If the dump load is not faulty and you are still unable to go over 65 watts with the drill at low speeds it probably is still faulty by going into volt overload way too soon.

That was just another opinion.

Andy R. likes this.
  9. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

Did these guys do their homework, or what!

10. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Supporting Larry's comments, sometimes bench testing it may be difficult to control the drill speed and easily send It into volt overload. So like Larry suggested if you hear the clicking noise that is volt overload but to double check that, attach your volt meter leads to the inverter input so you can read the volt level when it kicks out on you.

11. leamywind1

Gee i wonder how the guy ever made out?

12. Hi everyone, thank you all for your helpful replies. I appologise for the delay in responding, I'm in the army and my company gets sent out on training ops regularly that take us away from modern convieniences like computers ect.

Im getting good results finally, built my first 125 watt 18 volt solar panel and tied it to the same inverter. Since then I haven't been having overvolt issues. The turbine doesn't produce much, but it does work and has helped me learn a lot about ( painfully I might add) wind power for my next project.

Thanks again for all the replys

13. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

I noticed eBay seller "Chargerdeal" has Wind rated SunG GTIs with opening bids at:
    300w 10.8-30V; ~$77
    500w 10.8-30V; ~$176
    500w 22-60V; ~$183

Have you guys tried the 300w? Seems like a great deal.
    I wonder if it behaves the same as the 500w 10.8-30V.
    Do these work equally well with solar PV vs. the solar SunG GTI?

14. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

I have not tried the 300 watt yet.

15. leamywind1

I have every one. LOL Yes they do work for solar but they also draw power whem in idle mode, about 1.3w ea. No power draw vs money to be concerned about in my opinion. Those are good prices too.
    For Solar:
    I use a Tristar 45a charge controller with PWM in dump mode to goto a 300w wind rated GTI Sun G 300w. This system is a 12v Em. battery back up system i have. I use the wind rated one to send the extra power back into the grid off the Tristar PWM dump and if the power goes down the GTI will close the dump circuit allowing the Tristar to dump to the coils i have. So it is a grid tie battery back up system. Since the Sun G wind rated GTI starts at 11v it is not starved for any power when the Tristar starts dumping at 13.8v.
    That is one way to use them for solar.

It seems the bigger in watts the GTI is for wind the more it will hold a turbine down to it's peramiter but each turbine seems to have a different reaction as well as sites to these inveters. For the avg Joe, i think they are much harder to use then just a solar panel and a solar inverter.:)

16. Minnesota

Thanks Larry. I thought you had more solar than what 1 300w GTI would handle. Doesn't your Tristar stay in divert most of the time?

17. leamywind1

Hey Tom,
    I do, i have 2kw of solar with Enpahse, 500w with a couple Sun G's (solar GTI's) and (1) 235w 32v for my 12v battery bank. Yes, it does stay in divert mode most of the time which is good. No wasted energy. Keeps the bats topped off for any emergency use. I dump about 10 amps in full sun. The system also has a built in ATS switch i made. The bat system has an optional extra hook up for wind with the extra diode in the bottom open box. (not used..yet) I have 3 seperate systems. Solar GT w/ Enphase micro inverters M-190's and a few M-215's),Em. Battery back up/GT system, and all the turbines are GT.
    Home made battery/gti system (1 ) 235w Schott panel that feeds it w/ solar a light on top
    ast Vincent-20110511-00220.jpg Pottsgrove-20110511-00223.jpg

The little 10w panel is use to keep (1) 12v deep cycle 90 Ah battery charged in a W/P case at the bottom of the pole mount. It lights up our yard each night. 45 led's are in the light. The whole Em system runs about 30 LED 7.5w bulbs, (2) ceiling fans and (1) 42" plasma TV. The bat system also runs all of my digital wind turbine meters. The rest of the home is covered by a 5kw portable generator w/ gen panel. So when we come home and the power is out, it is not out for us. WooHoo!!

Probally more then you want to know but i thought i would share:)

18. Minnesota

Looks great. You're a pioneer on a lot of this stuff. It must take an electrician to keep it all working. ;)

19. leamywind1

Thanks buddy,
    Do you know any good ones? lol As complicated it may seem, it just sits and does it's thing.
    Thanks again:)

20. Hi guys, got a problem maybe you can help me with. Have a Sun 500 watt 22-60 volt GTI that developed a problem. Had some huge winds the other night and now the dump load is active all the time. If I disconnect the dump load it works fine, producing watts, but if it is connected it acts like a brake. Checked the dump load terminals and they have voltage across them at all times where I assume there should not be any voltage till the dump is triggered. Is this situation fixable or use it for parts and get a new one? Thanks for any help.