some advice please

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by james, Dec 13, 2011.

1. hey guys I am new to this site and had a few questions that i cannot find online. for one if i wanted to live completely off grid what battery voltage would be the best for recharge rate 6v/12v/24v/48v/
    also which is easier to work with i know that the higher the volts the less amperage (from what i have read) I have a very small house and do not have ac or heat i live in upstate New York which it is not needed, well the heat is but i have a wood stove haha. but i want to make sure my wind turbines put out the most power they can for the wind conditions they are in and recharge my bank at a good rate. I hope you guys understand what im trying to say. also what all permits need to be in place for me to live completely off rid. how hard and back breaking in this work?

2. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Hi James,

48 volts will travel with the most efficiency through wire compared to 12 and 24 volts at a given Wattage. The downside is that 48V electronics (inverter) tend to be more expensive than the 12 and 24 volt versions.

You will need to check with your city/county with regards to permiting for your tower and of course, to be completely legal, your wiring will have to be up to code.

3. ok kool thanks soo 48v would charge my battery bank the best? also i would not need as big of wires with 48vs is this correct? the turbine I am looking into is a 24v soo i would need a 24v dv to 48v dc inverter is this correct too? also if i get an inverted for 120 how can i run my dryer which is 240v? do i need two inverters? one 110v and other 240? if soo can i run them both off the same battery bank?

4. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Well, I would say that a 48V turbine is not going to charge your batteries any better than a 12V turbine. As long as the wind turbine's voltage rating is matched with a battery bank with the same voltage rating, then a 12, 24 and 48 volt system will all work very well.

One main advantage with higher voltage systems is that you can use thinner and less costly wire, however, all this saving might get eaten up by the high cost of the 48VDC to 120AC inverter. For a small battery bank set-up, 12 and 24 volt systems do work very well.

5. also if i get an inverted for 120 how can i run my dryer which is 240v? do i need two inverters? one 110v and other 240? if soo can i run them both off the same battery bank?

6. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

Some 120V inverters can be stacked to generate 240V, otherwise a transformer can be used. You will need a very large battery system to handle the demands that heavy electrical loads like a dryer would impose. You will also need a large turbine and/or solar array to keep it charged. Electric dryers consume ~ 4kW per hour and "typical" 12V deep cycle batteries provide only about 500w in an hour and then they need to be fully recharged. Even 1 hour usage of an electric dryer would deplete 8 of these batteries to the point where they would need to be recharged. This is why off-griders use clothes lines as the primary method and propane dryers as back-up. Many also become nudists! :)

[​IMG]

7. well shit your meaning to tell me my wife will do laundry nude if i become completely off grid? i might enjoy doing laundry then.

8. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Wonder if the front is just as smooth ;)

9. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Looks like were all going off the grid if that's what's gonna be in our backyards.

10. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Been line drying my clothes for years. But I have not seen anyone like her in my neighborhood.

11. leamywind1

He for got to post she's $100 an hour and that's just for laundry.LOL

12. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

A guy really shouldn't have to pay a wife for certain things, unless it's a friend's wife ... :D

13. leamywind1

You pay for it no matter what.;)