Solar Diode

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by minermike, Apr 5, 2011.

1. minermike

minermike WindyNation Engineer

Received my first Solar panel today and after setting it up on the roof i determined it was putting out 3.86 amps,now i know from wiring it it didn't have a diode built in,the only diode i had was a 40 amp-600 volt one from a turbin project.When i hooked it up i saw that i had a slight voltage drop but now there was no amps,My question, is the diode to big for the solar panel? if so wich size should be used.Thanks

2. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Hi mike,
    Is there chance your diode is in backwards? A Normal blocking diode to use is 600v 40 or 60 amp.
    Larry :D

3. minermike

No i beleive it's right,i'm getting voltage out just no amps.

4. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Mike, same thing happened too me...1st I changed the diode (same as yours) and it worked perfect. Next day same issue. I increased the heat sink size, changed & tried two different diodes, and still high volts and no amps. And yes, my diode was wired correctly !
    Finally I disconnected the diode completely and wired to a grid tie inverter rather than my batteries and it is back to working great.

Sorry dude, that i did not provide an answer, but I would like a solution to your question also :D

5. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Is it a commercial variety with a junction box on the underside..if so the diode is soldered inside and is very small...

6. minermike

Murry i'll give that a try as i'm wanting to use them for my grid tie anyway,It is a 110 watt sunny bee with a junction box on back but i saw no diode in it.if i hook it to my buss bar without the diode my amp guage shows a amp draw to the panel so i'd say theres no diode.There are more than one positives and negatives in the box to hook to i assumed this was for hooking in series is it possible theres a diode on one lead but not the other.Since i live in a real low wind zone i was hopeing to charge my batteries too.I know my diode is wired right and double checked tonight after the sun went down and had voltage on battery side only.These panels and turbins are so simple with few moving parts but they can drive me nuts,thank goodness for foruams like this.I know i'm not the only one that tinkers and on a windy day i can just sit and listen to mine hum and then jump up to look at the amps then sit down and start all over.Thanks guys i'll keep trying on this panel need to buy another to help out the amps to get some power to the grid.

7. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

On the sunny bee junction box , yes two neg & two pos. I guess you already did check by just using the volt probe to see what was live and pos or neg.
    I did not even use my bus bars for it. I just wired directly from the panel to the inverter and immediately got good amps. I think solar will give a better return on an investment by far for most people.
    It seems there are guidelines to go by but most of all it seems to involve a lot of trial and error.
    Both wind & solar are addictive to work with and yes there are a lot of real fun people on the forum .