Running 2 or more turbines and combining the dc...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bluejay, Sep 5, 2011.

1. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Just a observation today as i had a odd wind the doesnt usually blow from from that direction and still have some cedars that need to be topped and are a large wind block..The smaller turbine barely turned and the other turbine had a good clear view but stayed lock down to the other voltage..

In my case I like this idea as It will help keep overspeed worries more to a minium..The trees will not be a forever obstacle...

If you wire them all seperately to there own grid ties some will be spinning and producing higher volts, but together the lower one gets to freewheel until the voltages merge then the resistence sets in.

2. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Hey Blue so you are saying wire the turbines in paraelle to the inverter or inverters?

3. bluejay

I am leamy,,gotta watch the numbers but I am hoping I can squeeze 3 turbines on one circuit to feed.125 volts average on the kill a watt and seen about 700w ever being the absolute highest from the turbine in the past so that should safely say max would be around 6 amps each turbine (125 x 6 =750) max 18 amps on a dedicated 20 amp breaker.. .gonna have to see final amps on the line from all the GT's.

Each turbine goes from rectifier> to a block with one lead to the 60 amp breaker/feed dump load with the other feed directly to the gt's. All turbines feed the same gt's all wired into one big bank... I will be adding a large agm 48 volt battery bank off one of the blocks in the future just as a small way if we lose power and hella winds.I can divert all juice from each turbine seperately into the dump when needed.I dont see the batteries ever being charged but once a year or so if that...

With merging the volts it puts resistance to the higher volt turbines and pulls that voltage to try and match the lower turbine..

i learned this trying to add a third solar into my paired(2 in series 17.5 +17.5) units. The voltage for all of them only bumped a volt or so because of so many pushing @ 35... That makes the output very inefficient for solar..all future runs will be 3 wired to merge the dc into the house 17.5 x 3 = 52.5 v..this will make transmission into the house more efficient and lower the amps..

-blue

4. bluejay

Back to normal 6mph and up wind today so you can not notice and resistance slowing from different speeds.that was kindof cool to see that in low winds yesterday..really like the idea of combining voltages and pumping up the amps...Keep that in mind when choosing wire if you do it this way people..stay safe..-J

5. bluejay

Leamy if you are still running a delco style I would get rid of it just because those things can ramp up volts quickly but dont have much amperage behind it...would be a overvolt risk to me...

6. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Dude hell no, no more delco's man i sold that wind blue last year. I had it up only becasue i was waiting to get the funds to replace it. Yeah, i tested with the GT's, just bad results once again with a car PMA. I have 3 wind max's and 1 Windy Nation 750 pma. F'en love 'em
    Delco's, ceiling fans, and tread mill motors are not for wind turbines.................................period.
    They are money pit$:)

bluejay likes this.
  7. bluejay

Can I double like that last post??:p

8. bluejay

Its raining cold hard facts up in here :D