Roof Mounting

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by TomT, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

I have some solar panels I will be putting up in the spring. Right now they are mounted to my big front windows till then.
    What I would like to know is how some of you have mounted them on a roof. And what you used to mount them to the roof. Also how it has been working out for you.

2. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Hi Tom,
    I install solar for a living so mabe I can help. There are many ways to flush mount to your roof. One economical way is to use galv. strutt or Pt wood sold at an electrical supply house-Home depot or lowes. My personal solar system is mounted with a brand called Unirack. All alumin. with satinless steel hardware. This is a more higher end mounting system but will last a very long time. What ever you use make sure you use a very good roof selant like a brand name, DAP is one. If you need more details on mounting just PM me. There is just to many ways to write about mounting not knowing your situation.

I am in the middle right now of installing an 8kW Enphase solar system on a roof. I can send you pictures if you would like to get an idea. We are using a Unirack system. Iron Ridge is another brand name as well. Just remeber using a racking system that is not rated for solar is like using a tower not rated for a wind turbine. Builld it to last. Just my two cents worth. :)
    Larry

3. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Tom I had used a piece of rubber with a piece of aluminuim L chanel screwed to the roof with no leaks.The cost of the aluminium is the only higher cost.predilled the L and used self tapers to pierce the solars aluminium sides.Easy and cheap though..

4. TomT

Here are the panels I will be putting up in the spring.
    [attachment=0:3i8i363k]120wSolarPanel.jpg[/attachment:3i8i363k]
    Bought 2 at DM Solar as of 1/7/2011 for $216.00 each plus shipping.
    I bought a set for now to do some testing of the output and to see how I would mount them on the roof.

Attached Files:

5. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

i've been looking too for a pair of 210w panels or so. Shipping is obscene on these things.

6. TomT

Yes I had a hard time believing what shipping cost. They sent them FedEx. :eek:
    Subtotal: $432.00
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $120.96
    Total: $552.96

7. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

That's a good price on the panels and shipping, frankly.

I can't find these on their site though. :?:

8. TomT

9. TomT

These panels have what are called bypass diodes. They are arraigned so if one cell is shaded it does not cut power in the other 3 strings. I found out after checking a few things that there is leakage current to the battery after the sun goes down. So you should still use a blocking diode. I did this and current dropped to 0 A .