Roof mount wind turbines

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by leamywind1, Dec 8, 2010.

1. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Hello Freinds,
    As some of you know one of my wind turbines is a roof mount. Mounted 5 ft off of my roof with my custom roof mount bracket. I wanted to start a forum in regard to this tpoic and the data out there that disproves it does not work. I know having a wind turbine up as high as you can go is key with the right site conditions as well. But what if you live in a residential area where restrictions for height are holding you back from getiing your own turbine, producing your own supplemental electricity or just trying to feel goo about doing something. My situation is great because I get so much wind at my location. I can not pole mount above 35ft but instead I did two side pole mounts on my house and 1 roof mount. Now I house 3 turbine 35ft in the air. I know vibrations problems are a great concern. Yes, it does occur if not using the right set up or using the right turbine with a good collar mount.
    I do get some vibration at very high winds 25MPH and up but then again at that wind level most of the house is ratteling. It isnot enough to annoy anyone in the home. My house is also well built with 2x8 roof rafters and 2x12 floor joices. My mount is tied to and then some with special vibration bushings and pads. For my roof mount my roof acts as a spoiler for the turbine. I am very happy with my set. I wanted to know your guy's thoughts on this type of installation or any data you may have. I feel that there are a lot of people who could do this, if done correctly and with the right turbine. I am not sure how the Windy Nation mount to the pole is but I do know the Wind max collar has a great charecteristic of very low vibration as the collar wraps around the pole mass with no space for rocking. Exsample of a rocking mount would be like a wind blue mount or MWS mount. I have tried them on my roof mount and it was a disaster.The banging sound from the turbine changing direction was so loud I had to take them down the first time I installed them.1 up 1 down, 1up 1 down that quick.
    Since I have had the wind max 1kw on there I do not have that problem what so ever.
    I[attachment=0:243zpul7]Wind max hybrid 002.jpg[/attachment:243zpul7]

Attached Files:

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

I know from the changes I have made to mine. That if it is not running under some kind of load. Which I am sure that the Wind Blue system would not be a good one for the top of the house. They run at a much higher RPM and present a bigger drag on wind. Which will make them bounce around a lot in wind gusts. Wind Max has a controller built in. This is what I was working on with the series capacitors paralleled with the series resistor. My Windtura 500 is running quiet and smooth now. It has NEVER been this quiet running till now. We had 30 MPH winds a couple nights ago and it did not hardly make a sound. :shock:

3. leamywind1

Hey Tom,
    Thanks for the response Tom. I am not using the controller at all, I am all grid tied FYI. The windmax runs very smoth even in high wind. I am glad to hear your is as well. Do you have a picture or vid of your roof mount?
    Larry

4. TomT

It is under post your photos. Flying as of 6/30/2010.

5. leamywind1

Nice job Tom.

6. TomT

Have lowered my turbine down to 5 ft off the roof at the bottom of the blades and I am still seeing goods watts. I saw a post over at Fieldlines and they said 5 ft off the roof was where the winds were best.
    It is also running alot quieter with 5 blades.

7. leamywind1

Great results Tom,
    I think for the mass pole it would have to be within reason regaridng the force of the wind on the turbine vs the mounting structure it is set to as well as the lenght of the blades. Also i would think it would depend on the wind situation at the site. I do agree that 5-6ft mass should be a good window for most roof mounts since the roof is acting like an air foil. To much height and you could not capture that whole idea. Using the side of the house pole mounts is working well too. I can not really tell which mounting system works better. Gosh the wnd is so speratic. I can say though it all works great and roof mount is a more convient way esspicialy if the location is in a tight spot. :D

Have you had any vibration issues? There is a lot of speculation for this topic.

8. TomT

Vibration is really less with 5 blades. I tried a 6 Blade with (2) 3 blade adapters using 30 and 35 inch blades. At 10 mph it started making all kinds of fluttering noises and the power was not any better than 3 blades. :shock:
    The vibration since I went to 5 blades is less then the 3 blades. Also do not have the roller coaster effect on the turbine any more as the blades are doing a good job of keeping the GTI from dragging it down. :D

9. leamywind1

Very good to hear. It is so nice to hear positive information about roof mounting. I am with you for using 5 blades too. Using a 5 blade system will allow more constant energy production that is for sure.

10. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Hi guys,
    Right on with your roof mounts. This method brings a great option to an urban setting not only for space but staying within city / township ordinance that maybe in place on a tower.
    I also agree that staying closer to the roof line you will be able to use this slop as a mini wind tunnel, providing this this wind does not create a turbulence to a lighter turbine. Maybe both of you could share something on that with us !
    Drawbacks : well guys let us hear about if using s roof mount if you are able to collect wind from all directions , which is usually why some of us are forced to use the higher towers ( if we are lucky enough to live in a location that will allow it)
    Roof mount, if I could I would ! :D

11. leamywind1

My roof mount does collect wind from all directions. The only thing I have a problem with is some trees located to my NW and N to slow down the wind speed. Collectively it is fine. I will say that using a roof mount is not for all turbines, espicially if mounted over a bed rm. A friction type collar like a wind blue or MWS is not praticle as it has a gap between the mounting pole and the mount itself when the pole is inserted. The gap is about a 1/8 inch. This gap cause the turbine to bang against the pole which causes a lot of noise in the home. This is another reason why i use a wind max due to their collar mounting-low vibration. It's yaw is a bearing type with a vibration pad in it. This reduces vibration greatly which allows the use of this turbine for roof mount. i also have vibration bushings at specific locations on my roof mount bracket to lower vibration levels even more. Air X and Air Breeze have the same basic mounting collar too. I have tested the other types of mounts and I had to take them down with in a few hours because they were making so much vibration noise-banging. At the end of the day they all recived winds with no problems and they have had no turbulance problems from the roof itself regarding any direction.