Roof mount bracket

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by leamywind1, Nov 23, 2010.

1. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Picture of my roof mount bracket with control system

Attached Files:

2. rinconwind

rinconwind WindyNation Engineer

I would be a little concerned about potenial roof leaks. I assume you are using lag bolts which might have a tendency to losen with vibration. Did you insert a sealent/caulk into the holes prior to securing the lag bolts? Otherwise, great idea.

rinconwind

3. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

Looks nice. If you make up a kit and kept it under $100 you'd sell 100s of these. Just add a junction just above the gussets so buyers can buy/add their own riser pipe.

4. leamywind1

I wish I could sell them for 100.00. It cost me 130.00 just for the part and paint. Not including welding and if I had to package and ship them.

5. leamywind1

Yes, I did use lags and they have not come loose at all. I also used a good quility roof sealant, under and on top of the lags. No leaks AT ALL thank god!! I also installed extra braceing under my roof rafters with vibration pads for extra support and vibration dampening. So you do have to be savoy enough to install it and use good common sense when installing this type of mount as any. I have a family of 5 and if it was a burdon I can assure you the wife or kids would have made me take it down after the first major vibration. I do like minnesto's idea of just selling the cradle and the customer can add the mass pole.

6. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

I would honestly see if you could run bolts into the attic and use metal braces with bolts and nuts...

I am using aluminium metal plates on all new turbines...Lost the one that was non geared the other night and those 9.2 ft blades shattered into nothing..30+ mph winds that were whipping side to side..Very turbulent. hit 479w before she ripped most of the 3/4 lags out of the oak and let the motor twist....

All will be sandwiched between aluminium and only there for screws to hold the case on while the metal prevents sag and strenth..

Bitter pills I tell you...Looking into buying a 4x4 boom lift soon..I will have one for these 30 ft towers. I am planning on ALOT of mills on my property :mrgreen: :ugeek:

7. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Larry
    really like your roof mount, I had already figured you would have had some vibration damping after just looking at your whole set up.
    Minnesota is right you could sell the mount / bracket system .
    I especially took note of the elevation you have in your area from one of your photos. Wow.
    Most others might not have that type of height and clean wind advantage to mount a roof top system and must go to a tower.

Really enjoy your posts.

murray

8. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

Larry,

I'm sure you could figure out a way to acquire material much cheaper in bulk and produce perhaps 10 at a time (cutting, welding, painting, ...). Perhaps $159 would work. What do you other guys think?

There are a lot of small turbines sold so these would be very popular I would think. Do a good quality YouTube video (not with your phone) and sales will explode. My 2 cents.

9. leamywind1

Yes, your are right. I must do better video's. Doing it with my phone is bogus. I learn more about things everyday so I will improve. I will do a good quality video on my wind system over the holidyas so yuo guy' scan see what the hell I am talking about and doing. Tough to put it all in words and picture somtimes. Thank you so much for the inputs. You guy's have been very helpfull. What a great site.
    Larry

10. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Larry if you do consider making them I would suggest a group of about 10 as a test sale.
    Also let the customer know the effectiveness of the vibration mat and have that for sale as well.
    If the mount pitch is fixed .. don't forget, are all roof pitch's the same ?

the customer needs to know it is all about their location to be able to use a roof mount and collect clean wind.
    Very important so that they do not say negative comments and blame the mount if they are not collecting clean wind.

anywho, those were my 2 3/4 cents.

murray

11. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

I was only conserned about all the different angles of thrust over time would eventually open those wood holes and the lags would become less anchored in...If you had a leak from it , you would already have them holes open good for liquid to pass. The holding power would dramatically decrease...Just keep an eye on it. :) :ugeek:

12. leamywind1

Thanks Bluejay,
    Yes, I have been keeping a close eye on it. I also check the inside of the roof as well.
    Thanks for the advice

13. leamywind1

Thanks Murry,
    Yeah I have that part all figured out as far as roof pitch. I would just make the legs a little longer so they can self adjust to any roof pitch. Also making the customer aware of the risk, possible vibrations and basickly up to them how they use it and install with of course some helpful information on how to install. I would not want to have a liability issue that is for sure. I would have a cluase in the final documentaion that i-we are not responsible for how it is installed as I have seen what people are doing just from watching Youtube.

SUN G Grid tie inverter

You can find iy on E-bay very easily. There are two types with or without the built in rectifier.
    Some guys like MWS are selling them but at to high of a price should be about $300.00 or less for a 500w.