Raising and Lowering a 32ft tower

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by murray2paddles, Apr 4, 2010.

1. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

I had told a fellow forum member that I raise / lower my 32 ft tower by myself in approx. 5 min. The following info was requested.
    My location is semi remote so we do not have instant access to new material & so we make use of what we can salvage so any metals and parts that may look like bush mechanics,,, IS ! Any measurements I share are just what I used and can easily be changed to meet your own needs or material on hand.
    I start with pouring a cement pad base 28 in by 28 in by min of 4 in thick. The ground level you pour onto will determine final thickness.
    [attachment=5:1c3i0fbc]preping.cement base.JPG[/attachment:1c3i0fbc]

The bolts I use in the base are 3/4" by 5" The base plate is 1/8 " by 2 ft by 2ft I weld two pieces of 3" by 3" by 6" angle to the base plate, centered on the plate and 16" apart. I then have a piece of 2 1/4" pipe 12" long slipped over a piece of pipe 2" by 16". Then weld the 2" by 16" to the angle pieces. Weld in center of the angle pieces ( length and height) This what will allow the swivel of the pole. Now you will be welding two poles to your 12" pipe.
    [attachment=4:1c3i0fbc]base.JPG[/attachment:1c3i0fbc]
    Now is the time I cut a hole in my tower pipe to allow my wire to enter / exit. At least twice the size of the wire makes it easy to work with. The hole should be placed high enough on the pole so that when the tower is lowered the wire exit will not be pinched on the cement base. I don't know if it is really needed but on the back side my pole where I had cut the exit hole I then weld a piece of 2" by 2" by 12' just to reinforce the pipe. "better safe than sorry"
    [attachment=3:1c3i0fbc]ginpole .JPG[/attachment:1c3i0fbc]
    [attachment=2:1c3i0fbc]wire.guides.JPG[/attachment:1c3i0fbc]
    The next step will be our winch and base. The winch I use is a simple worm gear winch. I have more than one tower so I built winch bases for each the would let me move my one winch to any of them. One winch base will be a dead weight and the other a rock bolt base.
    [attachment=1:1c3i0fbc]winch.JPG[/attachment:1c3i0fbc]
    [attachment=0:1c3i0fbc]winch.base.rock.JPG[/attachment:1c3i0fbc]
    My guy wire anchors are the same as the winch anchors, If I have rock I drill and epoxy my anchors in place, if I have soil I can use dead weights or hammer long anchors into the ground.
    If the gin pole is on the north side of your frame that will be the only guy wires you will have to unhook on the lowering and raising of your tower.
    IMPORTANT that the east and west guy anchors are a few inches off center of the base towards the south, this will allow enough slack in the wire when it is raised and lowered. After you fine tune the wires you won't have to touch them again.

I think there might be a limit on the amount of photos per write up so I will try to post the last one as a comment.

Attached Files:

2. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

This last photo might be a surprise to some. It is a Windy Nation 750 Watt turbine with a 5 blade hub and 35 inch blades. This one will be producing hydro into a grid tie inverter and a write up will follow soon. This turbine is much heavier than a Windy 500 but it was no problem to raise. ( less than 5 min of winching with lots of stops for resting )
    [attachment=0:1pfdvkuq]750.going.up.JPG[/attachment:1pfdvkuq]

Attached Files: