Pure Sinewave Inverters

Discussion in 'Off Grid' started by Minnesota, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

2. Exeltech XP-1100 12 volt Sine wave inverter 1100 watt

This is the one I have been looking at made in USA looks good military tested haven't found any bad reviews on these.

3. I have the same model, only it's 24 volt.It worked really well in the heat this summer. Before you start investing you might want to give some thought to what voltage you want to stick with. The higher voltages have benefits such as smaller wire sizes and other efficiancies. Use the search box and you will find some of my previous inverters shortfalls.

4. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

I bought a Reliable 12 volt 5000 Watt inverter.
    A month ago and it is running 24/7.
    It has worked fine at loads up to 4000 watts so far and even a dishwasher,dryer, and 900 watt microwave I have run off it.
    Not at the same time.
    Only thing I did not like about it is the outlet is hooked up with 12 gauge wire and the direct connection it too small for decent size terminals and it is wired with 10 gauge wire.
    On the bright side it does have 2 spade connections on both positive and negative on the board.
    Which I direct connected (2) 10 gauge wires for now on both positive and negative.
    InverterRewire.JPG

5. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

I've been running pure sine wave inverters for several years
    Originally I started with a simple 400 watt modified wave inverter which I quickly upgraded to a 2400 watt one.
    I discovered though the more expensive the pure sine wave inverter were cheaper in the end.
    Running anything less then a pure sine wave inverter will shorten the life of many electronic devices, microwave ovens & TVs to name a couple.
    I moved to a Magnum 12 volt 2400 watt model and was very happy with it for several years.
    Recently I moved to a 24 volt Magnum MS-PAE Series pure sine wave inverter/charger.
    The move to the higher voltage wasn't because I wasn't happy but more to allow for greater expansion.
    Both of these allowed for #4/0 AWG wire connection to the battery bank. A connection using anything less reduces efficiency for any inverter of these voltages, and the runs should be less then 5 feet even with that gauge. inverter.jpg

6. TomT

I ran into much the same.
    Vector 750 Modified till the 3000 watt modified came.
    Would not run much and my refrigerator seemed like it never shut off.
    Now with the 5000 watt pure sine wave all is good.
    I have no 240 volt loads.
    So I use single phase on each leg and it works fine.

7. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

Although my new inverter is capable of supplying 240 volts and I've utilized both phases, I also have no 240 volt loads.
    I use propane for the stove/oven and my on demand hot water.
    Using 240 volt would put a large drain on ones battery bank.
    Although my refrigerator was (at the time of purchase ) the most energy efficient (in Canada) it had 6 appliance lights in the fridge compartment and one in the freezer. I replaced these with 1 watt LEDs and reduced the number to 3 total so I figure it is still close to efficient as the newer models.

8. 7/24.
    How do you do for night?
    How many bateries do you need?
    For the system you are talking about. single face.
    Mine is running very short time. Only a 12"fan last like 5 hour.
    I wonder if i am doing something wrong

9. TomT

If you look at my signature after my posts you will see what I have now.
    I run a 100 watt load 24/7 and a refrigerator with the defroster hooked up for manual defrost thru a timer and relay.
    I can not go more than 2 days.
    Also I have to do dishes and laundry on sunny days or switch to grid power to do it.

Carlos Sanchez likes this.
  10. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

I get about 3 days no sun in the winter before backup gen kicks in.
    Converting to 24 volts gave me an extra days running using the same battery bank.
    12 300 ah 6 volt batteries.

11. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

12. Excellent... Thank you very much!!!

One more question.. One answer take me to another question.. i sorry..
    How can I set up my p30l to use during the day solar power instead of use the battery? Hopefully you understand my question. I feel that the panel are producting enought volts to run. Instead is draging the batteri too fast.. I have now 8 panels parrallel two charger 4 batteries for refirgerator 12" fan... I turn off regrigerator use tv..
    I can. Connect the inverter in load on the charger?

13. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

14. Ok i have my sytem runnig very good thank to all you answering my doubt..
    One more. Hopefully the last
    I can add to my panels set up other panel but with higher watts? can I add it to my battery bank with parralel charger?

15. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

Yes as long as total amps of all panels conected to a charge controler is below the controlers ratting and all panels are same voltages
    I had one array with 6, 75 watt panels and 2, 123 watt panels on same charge controler till i moved things arround.
    I'm building another tracking mount and plan to move thes pannels to it since I'm now 24 volt I'll have 3 different sized pannels on one controler.

16. Thanks you very much... Now I'm ready... I'm from PR. Right now solar power is the most thing need it..