Panel Mounting Volt Meter for 3 Phase

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by silvertop, Nov 25, 2010.

1. silvertop

silvertop WindyNation Engineer

I am wondering if someone can tell me if there is a way to permanently mount a volt meter off of one of the legs of the 3 phase at the bridge rectifier? How would you go about hooking this up without damaging any other components of the system? :?:

2. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

the easiest way to run a volt meter to see actual volts made by the turbine are at the rectifiers dc side..You need a diode inbetween the batteries and the rectifier. The volt meter will hook in the line above the diode and will show the volts before they are clamped by the battery..Usually 1-3 volt difference... :ugeek:

3. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

It can be done. I can get you a description of how to do it on Monday. May I ask why you want to do that? It is much easier and probably makes more sense to measure everything on the DC.

4. silvertop

silvertop WindyNation Engineer

Hi, I am just learning wind power. I have a small off grid back-up solar array 1k, and keep track of amps/volts with my Tri-Metric 2025 Meter. This gives me a total in or out, but I find myself running to the window to see if the turbine is running. I thought this might give a power panel view of the turbine. I also have learned the hard way about Wind turbines I did the LOW TOWER-DELCO PMA. I would like to go to at least 30 foot before I order your Wintura 500, I am in the PNW and have quite a mix of wind , winter NE winds blow for days and are the best for this turbine but I have yet to see over 3.8 Amps (this is a gust normal wind 1.2amps) Soo.... we learn as we go !!!
    THANKS FOR THE INFO :)

5. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

[​IMG] This is the style I use. You can dremel out the wood to have a clean look on your board