old wisper 1000 revived

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by fixitguy, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fixitguy

fixitguy WindyNation Engineer

greeting from the sunny south (but low wind).an old gent gave me his turbine thats been laying in his backyard for 9 years..met its maker when a gargabe truck clipper a guywire on the 120 foot tower..all that survived was the PMA.i put new bearings in her and she came to life.with hammer and brawn i made 5 pieces of aluminum come around to my way of thinkin.blades where born. made every thing but the PMA.right now its still sitting on the roof of and old work trailer as i finish the mechanics.its wired 24 volt and charging 4 6 volt batts in wind around 5-8 MPH.im thinking i need to cut back to a 3 blade system but like a 9-10 foot across.i have a vid on youtube if thats alright to link to?[attachment=1:2kt98csz]whisper 1000 genny.jpg[/attachment:2kt98csz][attachment=1:2kt98csz]whisper 1000 genny.jpg[/attachment:2kt98csz]

Attached Files:

2. fixitguy

a little time with the plasmacam program and new blades and hub will be cut tomorrow...the blades are 48" long (1/4 aircraft ALUM)..the hub (1/4 inch)..well the pic puts it in perspective.now its all about the proper pitch..thats the part i love.hand shaping the metal.

Attached Files:

3. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Welcome fixitguy,
    Thanks for the post and pics.Hopefully you can get her flying soon.
    Please post the vid if you get a chance

4. leamywind1

If you have any questions please ask. that is why we are all here. I checked out your vid. Although i do aprreicte music I did not see any wind turbine. Am I missing something?

5. fixitguy

6. fixitguy

sorry..im trying my best to get this figured out those at power please delete the music

7. leamywind1

Hello Ty,
    No problem. you will get it. Since i am the first i will break the ice.
    A few things you should ask yourself.
    Are you doing wind for a hobby?
    Is your tower and wind site ample enough to produce the power you are looking for?
    Are you using the turbine to reduce you electric bill-grid tie?
    Are you using the turbine for emergency battery back up?

Wind is very tricky but can be rewarding. The best advice i can give you is to keep it simple.
    :D

8. fixitguy

my plan is to power the 110 side of my house.theres only me so power usage is nill.the turbine is going on a 60 foot tower but still not above the trees.i do have a great open shot from the north winds.but as most others i need more RPM to charge the bank proper.i have a 1500 watt inverter and a new controller on the way.i didnt get to plasma the blades out today as planned (heavy work load thank God).

9. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Try to get above the tree line or all that hard work might go to waste. How far away are the trees from the tower?

Maybe you can cut the trees down ;)

10. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Great Stuff!
    I love to see good stuff come back to life ... thanks for sharing what you are working on fixitguy.

Dave (aka timber)

11. fixitguy

i cant cut the trees there 300 hundred years old..shame on me..its the old family place.so the turbine takes second place.today the wind hooked aroun 15MPH and the genny was puttin out 8 amps.she's still well asleep for her build...i need more speed.

12. fixitguy

got around to finishing the 3 blade hub today..indexed the holes for a good 120degree pattern.
    very gusty wind here today.the turbine spent most of the afternoon hunter the wind.i did catch a pic @ 7mph.take into consideration my windOmeter
    is like 30seconds behind time..i saw the amp(left meter) hit 9.2 and the volts (right meter) hit 13.4.

Attached Files:

13. timber

Nice setup Fixitguy!
    Good to see you can monitor to get instant results from your work.
    Good to see pics, thanks!

timber

14. fixitguy

those are NOT misswind blades.at the time i thought they was the S---.so i made a set here in the shop.

15. fixitguy

heres the guts of my home built..well im not sure what it really is but theres 3 bridge REC's in there..2 modified electricity meters 2 0n/off switch's [attachment=0:9yls6lfm]inside the box.jpg[/attachment:9yls6lfm]and some ugly wiring.
    had a chance to take a vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bfm6DlNAI

Attached Files:

16. fixitguy

viewing the vid looks like my tail is furling way to early...maybe some weight is needed?

17. timber

lol, seems to work fine and looks great, thanks for the pic/ video
    (don't forget to restrain that cord or the guts may escape)

timber

18. fixitguy

i know i said the other day i was done with the mechanic part of my rig but then i kept looking at that old slipring unit and just couldnt leave it out of the works.so i trashed the weldment and started all over.
    the slipring unit will take the place of the yaw bearing housing.old slipring unit is just as beefy as what i built..maybe more.not shown is the tailboom nor the blades.[attachment=1:1vnr5bg8]031601_1117[00].jpg[/attachment:1vnr5bg8]
    kinda hard to get a clear view of it.tomorrow i'll have it all mounted on the teststand and take another shot.

Attached Files:

19. fixitguy

just for shits and giggles.my boss who lets me do what ever and gives me all the metal i need says..."soon that thing will be busier than a 3 legged dog with fleas.:)

20. timber

Just an observation and probably too late but it appears that your tail boom axis is in line with your turbine axis.
    In other words, the tail will trail straight back from the turbine.
    Since the turbine appears to be furling too soon, you might try the following.
    rotate the base of the tail boom axis about 5 degrees so it rotates the blade into the wind more.

These larger units tend to need a compound angle for the tail boom.
    You have the obvious angle to keep the tail straight in low to medium winds but by adding the rotation of the base as noted above, (the other angle) it tends to counteract the tendency of the blades to rotate around the yaw bearing (since it's offset slightly).

Just a thought.

timber