Off grid in central Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Start here' started by Tuicemen, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

Nice forum!
    (though very slow)
    Hopefully I can add something to it and get it moving! ;)

Some Info on my place:

I started building a retirement home out of logs back in 1996 and always intended on it being a off grid place from day one.
    I started out with a 12 volt Trace modified sine wave inverter and 3 shell 75 watt panels as soon as I had the roof on. I added a 400 watt wind turbine the following year on a 80 tower.
    I soon realized the modified sine wave inverter wasn't going to do it so I switched to a 12 volt magnum pure sine wave.
    I continued to add panels to the roof until I maxed out my trace 40 amp charge controller.
    I then realized a pole mount was much better and added 1000 watt array to a pole.
    I have this pole currently able to spin 360 degrees which I do manually with the ability to lock it into 4 different positions.
    The cool thing with solar is you can add to it as funds are available.
    So my next upgrade is to add a sun tracker and move up to a 24 volt system.

Heating is currently done with a out door wood furnace which has propane back up.
    I also have a 6 KW backup generator which gets most use in Nov-Dec when sun is at a minimum.
    The place has all the comforts of my city place and probably 3 times the size (wife wanted it that big now she wishes it was smaller)
    I'm adding some home automation and currently have 3 IP cameras to check on the place when I'm not here (Jan, Feb) Although I think my wife uses them more then me.

2. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

I do have some experience installing although this was my fist install it continues to grow.
    I have only installed 2 wind turbines (both small 400 watt units) only one here.
    Besides my setup I've installed 7 small solar setups ranging from 60 watts 12volt to 1.5 kw 24 volt
    As well a few of these were upgraded with new panels charge controllers and inverters.
    By no means am I a expert in the green energy field and I'm always on the look out for new developments.
    I'll get some photos posted in the photo section over the next month or 2.
    Hopefully I'll get most of the setups posted.:rolleyes:

3. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

Sounds like you have things together! You're our kind of guy.

Photos are always nice. Thanks for dropping in.

4. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

Thanks Andy,
    I have posted a few photos in the photo section.
    I try to add something each year even if just something small.
    That was the one thing that made solar so attractive, it could always be expanded on and made bigger with out to much difficulty keeping expenses in check.
    Originally I only had 3 Shell 75 watt panels a trace c40 charge controller and a 400 watt inverter.
    The panels and charge controller are still in operation however the inverter moved to a hunt camp which was sold.
    I like to think part of the reason it sold was the solar setup.:rolleyes::)