New motor for wind turbine

Discussion in 'Windtura Generators' started by meangreen, Jan 13, 2011.

1. meangreen

meangreen WindyNation Engineer

Hi all. Just wondering what would be the best blade set for the following PMDC motor.

1 HP 120 VDC MOTOR

New, Protech permanent magnet motor. Could also be used as a DC generator. Includes 8' long 16-3 line cord and bridge rectifier, circuit breaker and on/off toggle switch. Can be plugged directly into standard 120 VAC outlet.

Power 1 HP
    Voltage 120 DC
    Amperage 8.15 Amps
    Speed 3400 RPM
    Rotation Reversible
    Enclosure TEFC
    Duty Continuous
    Frame 42
    Mount 4 10/32 tapped holes on face, 2-5/8" dia. B.C.
    Shaft 5/16" dia. x 1-3/8" w/flat
    Size 8-1/4" x 5" x 7"
    Shpg. 19 lbs.

Thanks in advance.

2. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Truthfully it has a high rpm and low amps. At best you will be able to see 800 rpm at the most is my guess and would make the output of this motor not worth all the work..Just my opinion.. See what others say..

3. meangreen

I calculated approximately 17vdc at 600 rpms with 80% efficiency. This would produce 106 watts. This equates to a cut-in at 13vdc at 440rpms. I'm in a windy location free of trees for a least several hundred yards. I think that considering location I could make this work. I just need the right blade set to produce those rpms.

4. dlmcbm

dlmcbm WindyNation Engineer

Small 3 blade will give you the highest RPMs.

5. bluejay

And it will only give you those rpm in very high winds and a few times a month at best...You want something thats low rpm/low wind

6. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

I agree with bluejay. The motor will definitely work but it is not optimal. I would shoot for a cut-in rpm that is under 350 .

7. meangreen

Thanks all! Guess I'll keep looking for the perfect cheap motor, in cost anyway.

8. bluejay

or gear it :D