new ari/windmax 700w turbine, best gti setup?

Discussion in 'Start here' started by jared, Dec 1, 2011.

1. hello i am new hear but i need some advice on the best way to set this pma up with a gti.
    sg has a 500w 3 phase ac. or a 500w dc should i buy one with a bridge rectifyer or with out, and buy a 3phase ac bridge rectifyer? also wondering if i should bump up to a 1000w gti.

the turbine came with a relly nice charge controler but it requires 48v before it will do any charging. );

any advice would be verry helpfull!

2. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Hello Jared,
    Welcome, i run 24v WM turbined with the Sun G GTI's. Please read all of my work that is posted as well as others.
    There:) is lot's hear to chew on.

4. so far i have gathered this. it would be more efficiant to buy a DC wind gti and tie in a rectifyer before that. keeping the heat generated from the rectifyer out of the gti.
    so this is my plan.
    purchasing the 500w sun g and a 3 phase rectifyer.

now for the dump load could i run it to one of my extra sun g "solar" or would i be best off just running it through a dump load?

another question

is it possable to take 3 single pole bridge rectifyers, wiring them together in searies? or would the waves not be in sync? seaing that all the waves except one would be off by a little? meaning that the dc current would be verry unsteady?

5. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

6. more wires but for beaing efficient, wouldent 3 seperate single rectifyers run cooler, more power is passed through, intead of turning into heat? once the diode's become hot they become inefficient?

7. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

The losses in the rectifier are minimal..The more copper in is where you want to not skimp....

8. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

9. does anyone agree with this?

btw. i have a new design for people with a antenna tripod tower and does not want guy wires, or does not want to pour a cement base. using it with a stand off using 2inch conduet, the tower is 40foot the turbine is 55. havent worked out the pully system for the tip up yet. but just purchased the supplys for it today. cost 150$. will post pics asap

10. leamywind1

Yes, use an external rectifier. Not only for less heat in the GTI but you have the option to change it out, cool it with a fan, and just less components in the GTI to go bad among other options. It is my opinion there are more options by usig an external one then an internal one.
    Good luck

11. leamywind1

I also recommend using a bigger one then the one you have shown.
    Here is s suggestion for the ones i use. This is rated at 210 amps from Wind blue $29.00
    It also allows you to put 60amp mechanical lugs on it for a nice big wire. You may also be able to purchase this type at your local auto store.

rectifier.jpg

12. rhino

rhino WindyNation Engineer

jared I just wanted to add a option to consider. Use the included charge controller wired to the gti with battery clamping. This will get you going and give you the dump load for the turbine. This may not be the best way but it does work. I have been running this type of set up for about a year and has been working good. The gti will start to work as soon as the voltage get up to your gti start voltage. The turbine will still produce power even if not at 48v. If you have a ari it will start to show it charging at 44v and dump at 60v. It will put out amps at a lower voltage to match your gti. Good luck and check out leamywind1 wire diagrams for other options.