New 500 Furling & Power Output

Discussion in 'Windtura Generators' started by murray2paddles, Oct 20, 2010.

1. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Greetings Earthlings :cool:

A whole lot of fun info on testing of a 500 watt Windy with their furling mount.
    I have had the pleasure of using the original proto type furling mounts and making the design changes under the direction of Windy Nation for testing purposes on a real time tower.
    This report will be on the Windy 500 with the new mount system. I hope that the following information will be of assistance especially to those who have not made their 1st purchase and maybe holding their heads as a result of all our chatter and spewing info and ideas in all directions.

This turbine would be exactly as you would receive it from Windy and I do not make any changes or add on features of my own in an attempt to boost performance.

This unit will have a three blade hub with 35 inch blades and be mounted on a 32 ft pole tower. This tower is double guy wire and can be raised or lowered with a worn winch by hand in approx 4 minutes.

I will post a good number of photos showing in detail of what we are talking about.
    [attachment=5:4q50wos4]mounting to the tower.jpg[/attachment:4q50wos4]
    [attachment=4:4q50wos4]balanced and ready to go up.jpg[/attachment:4q50wos4]

When the tower was being raised there was a moderate wind between 8 - 10 mph. I was expecting some turbulence with the tower but was surprised and pleased that the Windy went into a full furl position and stayed that way until the last few feet of being raised and then unfolded and faced true wind
    [attachment=3:4q50wos4]furling 500.jpg[/attachment:4q50wos4]

Comments before mentioned how do we make this unit look like the wind swept style of all the others. Personally I would not change a thing. I really like the appearance and would call it `futuristic
    [attachment=2:4q50wos4]500 test furling.jpg[/attachment:4q50wos4]

Wire size is 3 wire 12 gauge solid ( common house wire) Length is approx 120 ft from turbine to rectifier.
    There has been lots of conversation on what wire to use, I won`t tell you what to use but after I share the power readings you can make your own choices on what might work for you
    This wire feeds a similar set up that Windy sells as a package, rectifier, V control and two 300 watt dump coils. Theirs might look nicer but mine still works.
    [attachment=1:4q50wos4]rectifer, V control, dump load coils.jpg[/attachment:4q50wos4]

This feeds a 12 Volt , 1030 amp hr bank. The wiring from the rectifier and Volt control is 8 gauge. The bank then is hooked up to a 3300 - 6000 watt inverter.
    [attachment=0:4q50wos4]12 V battery bank 1030 amp hrs.jpg[/attachment:4q50wos4]

Now we are getting close to what you have been waiting for. It has been discussed in other postings that the 12 V system may actually be clamping the turbine and not allowing it to reach its full potential. I would not disagree with this statement but at the same time if it is a 12 V system you are wishing to use, these results may be of interest to you.

I believe there is a limit to how many photos you can upload per posting so I will submit and comment on this article to share the final comments and power readings.

Attached Files:

2. murray2paddles

Now as promised some power readings.

When raising the tower I mentioned that there was a moderate wind of approx. 8 - 10 mph. I went to the bank and took an amp reading of 7 amps in the first few minutes of this turbines life. The wind then picked up and I will post two photos for you of amp readings from this turbine. I was happy with the first reading and then I took another only minutes after. Would you be happy with those results if this was at your home !
    [attachment=2:36ey2zie]500 amp reading.jpg[/attachment:36ey2zie]

[attachment=1:36ey2zie]22.51 AMPS.jpg[/attachment:36ey2zie]

Not bad for being clamped in a 12 Volt battery bank system,

[attachment=0:36ey2zie]500 & 750.jpg[/attachment:36ey2zie]

Like I said, right out of the box !

Hope this helps someone or at least entertained you.

murray

Attached Files:

3. BeachBum

BeachBum WindyNation Engineer

Murray,
    You've just made us all jealous as hell. :lol:

4. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Great post Murray! They look great.

One thing I would add is that I think Murray is measuring the wind speed on the ground (Murray, correct me if I am wrong). Note that the wind speed up where the turbines are is going to be higher than what it is on the ground. Just thought I would mention that so people do not have unrealistic power expectations.

BTW, the first shipment of the mounts from the production run is supposed to arrive Saturday morning :D . It is going to be a busy weekend!

5. murray2paddles

Windy, your correct, my wind speed is measured from the ground,
    well maybe 8 ft off when I am standing and holding my meter up in the air :?

now back to making those 72 inch blades for the next project. :roll:

the mur

6. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

I am making a prediction though..You will never see more than 350 watts/with load on the 12 volt system.40 mph gusts and that was the max in real time I have seen..Here is a pic of my new observation..A diode is put in the dc feed to the batteries and I can run a volt meter above it to see whats coming into the feed..It usually runs 1 volt higher but in strong gusts I seen it move almost 3 volts up and be sucked back down quickly The blue one is the battery bank voltage and its moving always from the GT's .Its cool how you can hear the gusts of wind and watch it be turned into numbers
    ..Dont mind the dumps,they are just there for emergency for now...I bought a almost brand new furnace fan today from a heating and cooling buddy.900w on its own..I am gonna need a large source to run heating elements in a duct trunk and blow that heat into my home 3 seasons a year :lol: [​IMG]

7. murray2paddles

Good morning BlueJay and thanks for all your happy thoughts to our hard work :lol:

I think your predictions are going to be close using the 12 V system and using a set Volt control too dump.

I am going to go with my own predictions for this turbine ( using some inside sources of information ) my testing results so far seem to be in line with product testing so a full furl condition could offer me anywhere from 360 to 400 watt. Bump that up to using a 24 V system and away you go !

BUT WHAT I REALLY WANT is a turbine that gives me its rated watts at 12 - 15 mph and spikes at 20 then requires furling to start at 24 mph.
    So will keep pushing :| :twisted:

have a good weekend everyone.
    murray

8. murray2paddles

Update on the power output.
    This is a 500 watt Wind Nation, 3 blade testing a new furling mount system

We have been having steady winds, with occasional gust but mostly a nice steady wind.
    So steady I got up during the night to add more household items onto my battery bank system to lessen the amount that the dump load had to work. Nice problem !
    The amps are reading a steady 10 to 18 amps and a few times when I monitored the bank there were a few gusts up to 24 amps.

I must wait till daylight in order to see how or if the furling mount is responding and I will be able to take ground wind speeds.
    Hey maybe I will at least put up a 10 ft step ladder to measure my wind :roll:

Any ways will let you know later

murray

9. murray2paddles

Well 1/2 hr later and it is now light out. Took another amp reading and must share this with you.
    it might have reached a higher reading but not being greedy I froze the amp meter just to show you.

murray

[attachment=0:ujh4appw]28 amps.jpg[/attachment:ujh4appw]

Attached Files:

10. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Very nice Murray! Looks like you are getting some great fall winds.

The turbine should just start to furl at approximately 30 amps into a 12 volt system. Might be hard to tell if it is starting to furl from way down on the ground but, as you know, you will definitely notice it when it goes into a full furl :D

11. murray2paddles

Noon hour in snowy Manitoba and time to put a big smile on Windy Nations Face :D

One more reading and this is the one I was waiting too see.

[attachment=1:204y976a]30 amps.jpg[/attachment:204y976a]

Looking back at our predictions we were pretty much right on.

The battery bank was reading 13.58 so with an amp reading of 30.20 we topped the watts at 410.116

I do not think we will see much or any higher readings as the furling kicks in at approx 27 to 28 amp readings. Don't ask me at this time what the wind speed is or I will have to tell you a lie or just admit I don't know !

Depending on how the wind is blowing is what allows a higher reading like this to kick in. If it is a steady wind that very quickly increases the readings will be higher, If there is a turbulent wind the mount will already be pushing into a furling mode of some degree and of course keep the readings down or controlled.

[attachment=0:204y976a]500 furled.jpg[/attachment:204y976a]

Well folks, how can it get any better !
    Pretty much have covered all we wanted to test and got much more than expected.

If you have a similar system this is what you should be getting if you have an unobstructed location to receive clean wind.

murray

Attached Files:

12. murray2paddles

Well yes it can get better

[attachment=0:wausoafq]31 amp.jpg[/attachment:wausoafq]

Battery bank reading at 13.70, amps at 31.94 so now our Watts read 437.578

Oh and did I mention my tower poles use guy wires :twisted: :twisted:

mur

Attached Files:

13. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

Nice work but perhaps the unit should be rated at 350 watts as it appears to be well into furling at over 400 watts. It would be great if you would be able to plot a real power curve using windspeeds measured at about the generator position as well as Voltage and Current into the battery bank.

That said, this may be one of the best systems on the market for the price. Congrats to WN.

14. murray2paddles

Minnesota
    I agree with you. Due to using a 12 V battery bank we are clamping the turbines potential combined with the wind speed the furling tail is set for.
    Now if I was feeding into a 24 V bank with those same unit measures I would have been reading 766.56 watts

If I was feeding into a grid tie inverter with the WN 500 ( which I am ) the inverter Volts in are set for 28-56 and is a 1200 watt grid tie. I do have a Voltage control at 56 Volts before a dumpload / braking happens. This allows the turbine to reach a higher output but I do not know how to measure watts on this unit.

If that makes sense, it could be made clear to everyone what their turbines potential Watt will be determined on what system they are using.
    That is not a statement, I am asking as a question for feedback !

murray

15. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Impressive results Murray, especially in the first hour(s)/ days of operation ... I look forward to getting my unit in the air.
    I enjoy your enthusiasm and can relate, looks like the Windynation frame, tail package and 35" blades are a very good match for the Windtura 500. Seeing the results with an off-the-shelf unit in a "real world" setup is great. Makes me glad I found the Windynation 500 PMA Startup Kit.
    I like to tinker and fab what I can so I've made my own frame, furling/ tail setup. The full package (with frame and tail) is the way to go if you want it to work right out-of-the-box, I have no doubt.

Best of luck in all,

timber

16. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

Check out the newly released power curve for the Windtura 500.

[​IMG]

The interesting thing is the 12V performance appears to match what Murray has measured.

The 24V results are rather compelling! Good work WN.

17. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Thanks for the post Minnesota,

If I'm not mistaken, there is now also a video showing various wind speeds charging a 12V battery, showing amps along with wind speed.
    Before I think WindyNation only had a video using a 24V battery setup. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

At any rate, it's great to see the WindyNation (12V) power curve so close to Murray's "real-world" readings.
    Great work WindyNation! ... and thanks for the comparisons Murray!

timber