Mount ideas for Windy Nation PMA

Discussion in 'Frame Construction' started by Boreas, Oct 2, 2009.

1. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Beach Bum,

Local plumbing supply sells 2 inch SCH80 pipe in 21 foot sections.

2. BeachBum

BeachBum WindyNation Engineer

Tom, You've really been a wonderful resource. Thank you so much. I hope I can help others as much as you guys have been helping me. I really appreciate all the posts, comments, and information!
    BeachBum

3. AdironDoc

AdironDoc WindyNation Engineer

Any recommendations on a guy wire diameter safe for maybe a 30 ft galvanized pole mount? Are three guy wires adequate?

I've got an old 10 speed bike that I'm eyeing for the bearings. Now I'm considering cutting the neck out of it and using the entire setup atop the mast. Any thoughts?

Doc

4. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

3/16 should be ok up to 30 ft
    I would use 4
    An tower over 30 ft should have a double set of guy wires.
    1st set roughly about 2/3 up and the 2nd just under the blade sweep.

A bike hub / bearings are full of moving parts and subject to corrosion and breakage.
    There is good info on the site for other types of swivels like a pipe over pipe with just using nylon bushings to turn on.

murray

5. murray2paddles

Sorry forgot to mention that over 30 ft height I would then use 1/4 wire for the top set and 3/16 for the lower.

If you are winching to raise and lower, 30 ft and under 1/4 will work, over the 30 ft I would use 1/2 wire cable.

murray

6. AdironDoc

AdironDoc WindyNation Engineer

Thanks, Murray. I think 30 would be the max I'd be using as it's still "neighbor friendly". Besides, I'm using the edge of my land which is up on a 50ft high ridge. This should help channel the wind up the side and into my unit.

I've been learning alot by reading on hoists and gin poles. I had always assumed that it would be easier to attach the turbine and blades first, then hoist the first pole. Afterwards, with friends holding the guy wires, I would lift the first pole and add small sections under it, one at a time, until a reasonable height is reached. That would, of course, mean plenty of galvanized pipe fittings. Anything to avoid climbing as I'm not great with heights! :lol: Seems the gin is by far the best method.

Doc

7. murray2paddles

Doc

a 2nd thought on the wires. I do think the one set of four wires would be ok for a 30 ft tower for normal conditions. But after the weather we have just experienced the last few days I am going to change my suggestion on wires.
    It will be the other than normal winds we have to plan and build for, so now for the little extra expense and time I would suggest a double set for your 30 ft tower. Lower and upper wires can share the same ground anchor per side.

I do not think my towers could have stayed up for the past few days if they were single set only !

more work but now but less later if you do not have to repair or replace.

murray

8. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

I have a roof mount system that works]GREAT. It is also posted on the Photo page.