Keeping turbine into the wind

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rake1, Apr 27, 2011.

1. rake1

rake1 WindyNation Engineer

Any way to keep my turbine into the wind? it has a 10X10 blade welded on the top half of the tail section .My problem is to many trees that I cannot cut down,and causing the wind to swirel around, in turn causing the turbine to move in an out of the direct wind.

2. DonMcJr

DonMcJr WindyNation Engineer

I'm new to wind generators, just built my first but my answer is to get the windmill higher and maybe a larger tail...

3. rake1

It is already 40 ft going higher is not an option.

4. DonMcJr

Then I think there probably isn't much else you can do...

5. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

A larger tail will keep it tracking more true but I hope it can furl if needed. :eek:

6. NEOH

NEOH WindyNation Engineer

Turbulent wind is low power wind. There are three solutions ...

1) Cut down the trees (remove the obstacle causing the turbulence)
    2) Raise the Wind Turbine above the turbulence
    3) Install Solar Panels

Here is a drawing showing how to properly position a Wind Turbine behind an obstruction:
    http://www.house-energy.com/Wind/Location.htm

"...You should site your turbine not only in a high-wind area, but also far enough from buildings, treetops, fences, etc. Find a good clearing, and put the wind turbine on a sufficiently tall tower. The height of a small turbine tower is an important element to consider and should have taken into account the height of the surrounding obstructions! The height of the tower should place the bottom of the turbine blades at least 30 feet ABOVE the top of any obstacle within 300 feet of the tower ..."

7. rake1

Thanks Neoh, This info I know and new before it went up, I just hopped for the best.I have no options as far as moving it or raising it high enough to get above the trees. Just looking for ideas such as modifing the tail section for better control. What kind of tail will keep it into the wind better? But all help and ideas are appreciated.

8. bluejay

A picture would help in tweaking your design for best wind tracking..

9. rake1

Here is a pic you can see my tree problem,I am on a lake so wind is there, just to much furling. It is leased land so I can't cut the trees, that is why I am looking for any ideas. If I put on a bigger tail how will this cause the turbine not to furl ?

[attachment=2:1k29c4th]100_2969.jpg[/attachment:1k29c4th][attachment=1:1k29c4th]100_2971_00.jpg[/attachment:1k29c4th][attachment=0:1k29c4th]100_3002.jpg[/attachment:1k29c4th]

Attached Files:

10. rake1

One other thing as it stands now this does furl quit easily if that helps, and the big tree you see in the pic is gone. Am going up and do some repair

11. rake1

One other thing as it stands now this does furl quit easily if that helps, and the big tree you see in the pic is gone. Am going up and do some repair

12. rake1

13. rake1

14. rake1

One other thing as it stands now this does furl quit easily if that helps, and the big tree you see in the pic is gone. Am going up and do some repairs in the next couple of weeks so could add a section to the bottom of the tail if you think that will help.

15. DonMcJr

Well my tail is about twice the size of yours and my tracks pretty well. I have taller trees around mine too but the closest is 50 yards...I'd try adding the same size tail to the bottom and see if that helps...good luck! Mine isn't designed to furl and I'm sure one day I'm gonna wish it was but ill deal with that when I get a bad storm and see first hand why it needs to furl...

16. rake1

Sorry for the multi post don't know what happened. Actually mine isn't designed to furl either just seems that way LOL

17. bluejay

Weight of the turbine and tail size are the true physics to track the wind .If your tower is worthy you could add about 20lbs to the fram and you will have to add a few lbs to the tail if you go bigger so it will need stronger winds to have it furl..You add a bigger tail without weight it will furl even sooner than it does now.

18. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

There are two fairly simple things you can do:

1) Increase the surface area of your tail. Like Don said, you can double the tail surface area by adding a second tail at the bottom.

2) You can increase the length of the vane. In other words, extend the tail backwards. This will add more torque to the tail which will make a more powerful lever arm (Just like it is easier to loosen a nut with a 24 inch long Crescent wrench compared to a 6 inch long one.) The longer tail/vane will have a greater desire to track the wind.

Or you can do 2) and 3) both :D

From my experience, these are the easiest and most affordable options you have.

19. rake1

Thanks guy this is good info, can I just as this,if I make the tail longer or make the tail wider(piece on the bottom) that will make it more susceptible to the wind right? As you said,but won't it make it more susceptible to the swirling wind caused by the trees also and actually make it turn even more? It just seems to me if I have swirling wind and make the tail larger it will swirl more. Please don't take this as doubting your info,I just have to understand the science of this thanks again for all opinions.

20. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

I went longer on mine because of turbulence. It used to hunt around all the time. Swirling winds will not be as strong as the wind coming directly on. Mine still hunts around but near as much and when the wind picks up it locks on to wind.