Is a WN 500 really a 500 ?

Discussion in 'Windtura Generators' started by murray2paddles, Jan 6, 2012.

1. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Early last year I had posted a reply on a discussion on rated power charts, my response was very simple " which chart" because it was my thoughts that it all hinged on what your load was !

I was suggesting at that time the charts were in relation to 12 V and 24 V bank loads and so what happens when you start changing the loads using grid tie inverters,,,, long story short,,, over the past few years I have worked with Larry Leamy on a lot of testing and we had multi success stories using so many types of combinations with our turbines..
    I was always the one who thought that if you owned a 500 and got 400 watt from it,,, to be happy about it. I was always always expecting the rated watts of a turbine to be less than advertised when put to work in real time......
    BUT I must share some photos with you on readings taken from a WN 500. Everything I show you will go against theories and what should / could be possible..

1st there has been conversations that the 5 blade would not preform as well as the 3 blade at higher winds !
    I USED A 5 BLADE

That you should not use a # 12 wire because the chats show that it will not carry the current !
    I USED # 12 WIRE AT 120 FT
    *** please note I am not saying the theories are incorrect but I am saying in the world of wind energy you get what you get !

I will post a few photos just showing watt readings. ( yes we had high winds)
    A few more photos showing volt and watts.
    There will be a number of pics but that is to show the consistancy of my readings through out the day.

This will be feeding into a Sun G system that Larry and I use..
    A 300 10.8-30 wired with a 1000 22-60

On the photos showing volts and watts you will not see a correct relationship between watts and volts, the reason is after you have a volt reading it takes approx 2 - 3 sec for those volts to translate through the electronics of the system and show up as watts. The volts will then be recording new readings.
    Due to these reading being so high for a 500 turbine Larry and I spent the better part of a day working back and forth double checking all readings but at the end of the day it appears all readings were true.

So after you look at these photos I can go back to my opening heading,
    Is a WN 500 a 500 ?,,,,,,, OR is it a 700 or an 800 or MORE ? It really appears it depends on the load and if the turbine is allowed to find its own potential.

Regardless if this is what the 500 is producing you can be sure the WN 750 would be a good purchase!

Attached Files:

Andy R. and leamywind1 like this.
  2. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Outstanding results.:)

3. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

What was putting out 900 watts at 25.9 volts?
    All the others are at around 40 volts.

4. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

That is what MPPT does for you - much more efficient and thus more power to the load. WN currently uses a battery bank as a load to establish rated power. The mainstream suppliers do not. They use an MPPT setup, and that is what these GTIs are trying to do. It is hard to say if it is done well, as these SUN GTIs are not programmed for the Windtura PMA's characteristics. It may be time for WN to invest in a Midnite Solar Classic 150 charge controller, program it for the Windtura PMA's characteristics, and publish an alternate power curve using that setup. I would also encourage the use of the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) Small Wind Performance and Safety standard for measuring and rating power, which is at 11m/sec (24.6 mph).

Rough calculations based on other work I am aware of, suggests that using MPPT the Windtura 750's current 29 mph rating would jump to ~1186w from 800w, and the AWEA rating (24.6 mph) would be ~725w up from today's equivalent of 492w (24V Battery Bank). Without changing the WN750 at all, the coefficient of performance would jump from 19% to 28%. Cool, eh. :cool:

Nice work, gentleman! You are all pioneers!

Andy R. likes this.
  5. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Thanks Minn, we can not leave you out as you are right in the trenches with us. Your posting of calculations and personal help have been veyry much appreciated as well as used for some of our results leading us to a no fail safe zone. I do agree MPPT is leading the way to making way better watts and agree windy should step to the plate to take it to the next level pushing them higher up from the competition. Since a few of us are now starting to get a hold of our systems with the GTI's many more are going the same way. There is enough gentelman on this forum to make the 750 all it can be.

6. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Great pictures Murray. MPPT sure does give a power boooooost!

Minnesotta, I am not completely sold on the Midnite Solar Classic 150 for the Windtura 750. It is extremely hard to convince a customer to spend $850 on a charge controller that is going to increase the Windtura 750's power production by 10-30% compared to a $129 Xantrex C40 charge controller.

7. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

The $3500 Bergey Excel 1 does 1000w at 11m/sec with MPPT, and the $1000 Windtura does 725w with MPPT (estimate) at 11m/sec. This makes the Bergey $4.35/w with the Classis 150 controller and the Windtura $2.55/w with the same controller (41% less $/w).

The Windtura without MPPT is 492w at 11/sec - coupled with a C40 w/meter is $2.43/w. So for 12 cents more per watt you get a cooler operating turbine, one that is able to provide 1200w at 30 mph, and a controller that is top of the line.

It's all in the sales approach ....:cool: