How's your wind?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Andy R., Dec 16, 2012.

1. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

Usually around here, Central Pa, the wind starts to pick up in October and by December if we have snow, I'll need to snow blow my driveway 4 or 5 days a week just to get to work. Now we can go 3 or 4 days with no significant wind. Kind'a disapointing.

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

I have only had 4 good days of wind since the leaves have fallen off by the trees in Nov. Also since the lake has not been freezing over I have cloudy days almost all the time. So right now wind and solar are both not doing good.

3. Andy R.

Well, things have now changed!.............. For the last 4 days we've had 20 to 25 MPH winds for most of the day with gusts up to 45 MPH. I'm making 8KWh a day.

leamywind1 likes this.
  4. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Same wind here and getting an average of 1 KWH per day here. Power went out at 1:30 am last night and I woke up to my relay going on and off every 5-10 secs. Power came back on at 2 am and the grid ties started back up again.

5. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

The wind for my area has been disapointing as well this season (Oct-Dec 12') so far up unitl about a week ago. We normally get started here in Oct. as well but things really did not get going until Nov. then stopped in the middle of Nov. for about a month and now I am finally seeing what I should. LOL. We never really have high constant winds but always 10-20 in the wind season, about 3 days worth a week on and off. ( Oct-May) with a few 40-50 MPH wind days/nights here and there overall. Yesturday I did get 4kw, (which was finally nice to see) 10 kw in the last 10 days. Top wind speed was 28 MPH at my site. I use a home energy monitor system on my wind system as you guy's know. Having that monitor system made me realize I need to make 4.32kW per month just to cover the GTI 's power consumption. that being said that is easy to do at my site even with bad wind results. Things are improving with the wind being more present but time for good wind is running out as every day means something when it comes to the wind turbine investments for grid tie. Lol. Our power never goes out for any lenght of time. A few light flickers or just for a few hours at most. I wish it would as I would like to use all of this stuff I have.LOL
    I hope you guy's get all the wind you want as well. :)

6. What is a good wind meter, I have been looking and the ones I have looked at are high in price. I have to save my duckies for solar panels and wind turbines so I need to find a cheap way to measure the wind here.

7. leamywind1

Inspeed.com

8. Andy R.

Well I made 93 Kwh with my wind turbine in Feburary. In July I made 5 Kwh. I didn't think that the difference would be that extreme. (Maybe it's time to think about some solar to even things out a bit). ;)

9. leamywind1

Hi Andy,
    There sure is a big difference in the winter to the summer winds for our neck of the woods. LOL
    Our winds have been more present buy only at best 15 MPH gust's. Nothing to brag about in power production that is for sure.

Solar is the way to go!! Solar panels will certainly compliment your wind system all year long. I would advise getting about (4) 245w panels to start out with all at once. This way buying four of them all at once you will see a decent amount of power right off the hop. A few 100w panels do not really do much when you are grid tied. Four of them at 245w each will give you about 2-3 kwh per day.....on a good sunny day using a 95% efficiant GTI inverter.

Good to hear from ya.;)

Larry

10. Andy R.

Thanks, you should be hearing some more in about a month;).

11. leamywind1

Great, just give me a shout. I can get you all set up for sure.