HELP

Discussion in 'Off Grid' started by Nelson, Sep 8, 2017.

1. I have installed the windynation 400 watt off grid system with the 1500 watt VertaMax inverter. windynation has allready sent me a replacement inverter. The input is 13.6 and the out put (measured with a regular tester) is only 98 watts. All i am trying to run is a Samsung refrigerator model # RF18HFENBSR When i plug it in it registers some different wattage's then to zero The lights work but it will not cool. any thoughts? anybody near Denver CO? We work and live full time in a class A motor coach and having to run generator to keep refrigerator going. Thanks

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

All your panels should be wired in parallel for the PWM P30L.
    That frig uses more than mine mine 6.8 amps and yours is 10 amps and it took at least 3000 watts Pure Sine wave for mine to work right.
    Using a modified sine wave inverter on mine it never shut off.

3. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

What one needs to realize is most solar specs are rated for ideal conditions.
    Your 400 watt system may only be producing 400 watts 1 out of 5 hours.
    You don't state the size of your battery bank which is really what is running your fridge.
    Also cables running from your battery bank to inverter should be 4/0 AWG and no longer then 5 ft.
    As Tom Stated he needed a Pure Sine wave inverter.
    Running a modified or square wave inverter will eventually break most electronics, if they even power them in the first place.

4. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Also just like my 5000 watt inverter. The outlet were (one)12 gauge wire. 1800 max continuous.
    terminal board was (one) 10 gauge wire. 2880 max continuous.
    How would that support 5000 watts?
    I now have (two) 10 gauge wires to the board. 5760 max continuous.
    That is working fine for me. And each set of batteries is hooked with less than 5 ft of 4/0 cable stranded.
    To make it short if your inverter has direct connect use it because most outlets are way under wired.

5. I have 4 batteries and have ordered a pure SW inverter. 2000watt. All I need it for is to run the frig and the vacuum every now and then. Thanks.

6. Tuicemen

Tuicemen Solar Guru

What size batteries( type, voltage, amp hour rating, new or used )?
    I ran my whole cottage on a 12 volt 2400 pure sine wave inverter fridge, TV, lights, well pump..... so you should have no problem running a fridge with the 2000.
    However the battery bank is the key to running for any length of time.

I moved to 24 volt for better efficiency. My battery bank charge % seems to drop slower then when running a 12 volt system ( the battery bank is the same but older) I can now run a 140 amp mig welder from the new 4000 watt magnum inverter in addition to the other.

As Tom Stated use the inverters direct connect wired to a small breaker panel if possible and not the outlets.