Help how to build furling tail for protection

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Yonal, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Hi i need som plans to buid a furling tail
    thanks

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Depends on the type of winds you have.
    If you have not so violent gusts that I have then Windy Nations setup is great.
    Plans you can get by looking at field lines and a few others.
    I will be working on a vertical furling system for the more violent gusty winds soon.
    As they will wear out a furling system quickly. In my area when hit with them it would spin my turbine around.
    That is why right now mine are fixed straight. Highest recorded over the last two years is 68 mph gusts. Also all the furling and spinning about broke my pole.
    The vertical one I will be trying out for some one else. I will post pictures as I build it. It will be for a 1000 watt or smaller turbine. You drill the holes to mount the turbine.
    The hinge will be using the old furling joint from my old turbine.

3. Hi Tom
    about the wind in my place in Belgium is 1 or 2 times max 65 mhp in the year
    if we have wind most of the time it is between 8-16 mhp
    in the winter often 16 - 25 mph
    i am not so good with using forum do not now how and where ask the questions
    my english is not so well sorry for write errors
    i do not understand ( at field lines and a few others. )
    first my plan was to build everyting myself generator incluiding
    i dit not stick with plan i bought DC Treadmill 220 vdc 3400 rpm 11 amps 3hp and en other one
    180 vdc 3400 rpm 19 amps 4 HP i bought 75 $ hyperspin blades from WN 129 $
    i bought charge controller on Ebay non of this was planned
    i saw the furling by windy but schipping to Belgium is expensif
    a payd for the blades for schippig and tax 115 $
    there for i have to build som parts my self now
    is it needful a furling for my low wind ?
    thanks for help
    a send now a picture what i put together for now DSC_0544.JPG

4. TomT

Try looking at this.
    http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/Docs/Furling.asp
    Also it takes longer to post but when I talk to people of other languages I use Google translate for the whole message and cut and paste the result. Seems to work better than everyone trying to do it.

Like this.

Essayez de regarder cela.

http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/Docs/Furling.asp

En outre, il faut plus de temps pour écrire mais quand je parle à des gens d'autres langues que je utiliser Google Translate pour l'ensemble du message et couper et coller le résultat. Semble fonctionner mieux que tout le monde essaie de le faire.

Not sure of your language. This is dutch.

5. TomT

6. TomT

Here is another thread.
    http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=139323.0

This is a Quote from Flux in that thread.

Not sure what Dan uses but I suspect it will not be much different from this.

Offset min 4% rotor diameter ( 1/2" per foot of rotor seems a good figure).

Angle from vertical about 20 deg.

Angle from straight back is not critical, I think Dan uses 45 deg, Hugh I think uses 55 deg, it has some effect on the power produced during furling.

Distance from tail pivot to center of vane is typically blade length ( 1/2 rotor diameter) I like it longer but with plywood vanes it may not furl early enough if you go too far.

I will leave the area to Dan, I always tend to make mine too small and need the tail at a considerable angle to keep things straight into the wind.( maybe 16% of blade swept area is reasonable)

You can only find the tail moment by experiment but plywood tails normally work about right with boom length about 1 blade radius.

Flux
    « Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:14:48 AM by Flux »

This way it should not get lost. This seemed to be the most important one.