GTI for 48v wind turbine.

Discussion in 'Connecting to the Grid' started by 434josh, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hey guys,
    I'm currently looking for a gti to connect to a 48v 1kw wind turbine.
    My options that I have found are:
    SUN 1000 Watt WAL or WDL 22-60v
    Power Jack 1200 or 2500 22-58v or 50-100v.

My concern with the sun inverter is the voltage range. Will it be able to keep the turbine below 60volts or will it be dumping all the time?

The power Jack doesn't have a dump and has a much higher volt rating but the quality and efficiency is much worse.
    Any advice? Any other low cost gti's?

Thanks.

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

That would be an answer to get from leamy. He has a 24 volt 1000 watt Wind Max and is running a 22-60 volt GTI on it. I am waiting to an answer to the 24/48 volt question. But I found this HY-Turbines.png
    Seems to be which one you order whether it is 24 or 48 volts. They sell both.

3. Thanks Tom. I did talk with him a little over the weekend but I was under the impression he was running 24volt.

Do the sun inverters dump once the wattage rating is exceeded or the voltage? Or both?

4. TomT

Just the voltage.
    I just had mine cut back to 20 watts after it got too hot with 350 watts running thru it for awhile.
    I am checking on the Hyenergy right now. It shows 24/48 volt but I am checking to see if it is wound for 24 or 48 volts.

5. Thanks. I am actually building my own wind turbine. I want 48volts to cut down on losses but I can probably wind the coils for 36volt if I have to in order to not fry the gti.

6. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Tom was that you that emailed me?

7. TomT

Yes

8. I guess I will buy 2 sun 1000 Watt 22-60 volt and stack them. Leamy stated that when he did that it held the voltage lower.

9. leamywind1

Ok now i know. Thanks

10. leamywind1

Hey Josh, i just wanted to revisit our conversation
    Yes two GTI's will load your turbine down but you will also be forcing more amps out of your stator so this is something you may want to consider. Also, you may want to consider building your PMA to work with a specific inverter becuse you may end up spending twice the amount to find one that works by the time you get done testing. Just my two cents

11. I have been looking at some other options, even at that sweet 1000 watt with dump load and lcd screen however all of the sellers seem to be a little high on price. I may be best off to wire the stator for 24volts like you suggested. I can just set the air gap to find the "sweet spot" for the inverter. I hoped to stay at 48v because of the length of wire from my tower locaton to the inverter will be about 200 feet so I wanted to keep the losses down but I doubt there will be that much difference.

12. leamywind1

Yes, make for what you intend to use it for. I think for what is out there and not getting crazy with cost 24v will allow you to use the GTI's as well as a bat bank if needed. You may just have to beef up your 3 phase wiring that's all. Try to do a wire calculation for distance. For a GTI 22-60 1kw you would need to push about 25amps
    at like 40 volts. If you use two inverters you will be jacking more amps and less volts so consider that too. If you do batteries then you have to calculate for about 40 amps with a 24v bank. Stay under a 5% loss. Good luck