Grid Tie

Discussion in 'Connecting to the Grid' started by jgmanza, Jan 21, 2011.

1. jgmanza

jgmanza WindyNation Engineer

HelllllP.... I just came back from studies, and found out that the Grid has reached my cabin. The electrical poles are going up as I speak. I will still raise back up my Windy500 and use the 200W solar panel I have. The last time my charge controller burnt, so I was wondering if I still need it to connect to the grid? Or do I only need a Grid tie inverter?

I believe the last time that my windy500 ran without load for a couple hours. How can I check if it is still working? I connected a dc voltmeter to it and it went up 20 to 35 volts...is this ok?

So I will connect to the grid!
    I have a windy500 and a 200w panel. What else do I need. (btw I still have my battery bank -just two 6 v 232ah battery connected in series)

Thanks.

2. dlmcbm

dlmcbm WindyNation Engineer

There are a lot of ways of doing it. I am sure people will chim in here soon. Just make sure you get a grid tie inverter that will protect from ever voltage. that is the big killer of most grid ties with a wind generator. also look though the forums there are a lot of post about grid ties and there hook-up.

3. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Yes, there is already a lot of posts on how to do the grid tie. A lot of the forum members are very knowledgeable in this area. You can read their posts on the subject.

The wind turbine should be fine if it ran with no load. You do not have to worry about the generator in a no load situation (If there is no load on the generator, it cannot overheat). What you have to worry about is the blades spinning so fast that the turbine self destructs.

4. jgmanza

jgmanza WindyNation Engineer

Ok guys thanks. One thing it seems like I can't use the 1000w vechicle 12 inverter I have.