gearing up ,simple mount

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by irv, Dec 22, 2010.

1. irv

irv WindyNation Engineer

I am experimenting with gearing up to match the wind we have with the windy 500 . this mount is about as eazy and cheap as I could think of . Thought you mite like to see it .
    also looking at it , ( see picture ) has anyone tryed adding a flywheel ? I could do so on the back side of thhe shaft

Attached Files:

2. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Nice fab work Irv,

Looks ready for a windy day!
    I like your use of commonly found items to make a durable unit.
    I have no doubt that it will hold up well and give you some great rpms as long as you've got some decent winds.

Not sure if a flywheel would help or hurt with this setup, I think you might have issues with start-up due to the combination of gearing and flywheel but it's sure worth giving it a try if you have the resources.

Let us know how she flies both with and without the flywheel.

May the winds be with you,

Dave

3. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

How is the motor fasted on the flats? I have seen 3/4 lags ripped out of oak..had 9.2 ft blades but never underestimate the power in the wind..I dont anymore. I believe :eek: :lol:

4. irv

irv WindyNation Engineer

I will strap the pma down with two steel straps 1/8 inch by 2 inch , the straps will be bolted to the plate . also a piece of angle iron will be used on one of the pma bolts .
    I also am making a guard for the chain out of plastic. I will try the fly wheel , just to see . I must be on the roof to raise this thing ( 8 inchs of snow on roof so who knows when )

5. timber

Hi Irv,

If you were to modify your design slightly (longer axle) you could try a second set of blades on it to see if you gain anything that way ... just a thought ... the setup just reminds me of some dual blade mills I've seen.

Dave

Keep us posted on your progress.

6. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Mimic the old farm mills...go wide and many blades for torque and start around a 40:16 ratio to start.Thats a good starting point.trust me...

7. irv

irv WindyNation Engineer

Hi TImber /
    it's interesting that you would talk about making the thing longer and adding another set of blades , so here's a picture
    of one that I started to build. The unit is 6 foot long and would have a set of blades at both ends. I added a bearing at the center to keep the shaft from acting like a jump rope. The center bearing is a little tricky. The pma would be geared up two to one for starters. I clamped the tail section on just to show you what it might look like. If you look at the front of the tube on the flat part you will see a square drawn that's where the PMA would be. One of the problems I'm having with this, is that its very tail heavy. In fact the whole thing is heavy. So I shelved the project and made a smaller unit because I wanted to play with the gearing for a while and I didn't want to lift something heavy up-and-down while I experimented with the gearing.
    The second picture shows the smaller unit, with six blades. What are you guys think about six blades? How far apart should they be? That is one set from the other? Having fun// irv

Attached Files:

8. timber

Hi Irv,

No real idea about distance from each other but you may want to consider having a skewed tail so that both sets of blades catch more of the wind. An adjustable tail would give you lots of options to find out what would work the best.
    You may find that just one set of blades actually works best, too many variables for me to wrap my head around.
    It's a trial and error thing but I see you're having a great time of it so that is the most important thing IMHO.

Yes, it's interesting that you are already going down the path of multiple sets of blades, your setup(s) lends itself well to many different ways to put things together ... wishing you the best and don't stop having fun!

Dave

9. timber

One last thought, once you perfect the blade numbers, sizes, placement and gearing you can probably move to using some lighter materials that keep things from being quite so tail heavy. Lighter with some diagonal bracing (triangles) should work well, I would imagine.
    Looks like you have a nice shop.

Enjoy,

Dave