Forum Administration Question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by timber, Mar 8, 2011.

1. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Hi,

Love this forum, it's just the ticket for product questions, member system information or links to products that compliment WindyNation systems.

Question:
    Is it possible (or perhaps more accurately, practical) to make it possible for forum members to edit their posts?
    Even if editing were only allowed for a short period of time after a post it could be helpful.
    I often post then see a typo or error in my post that I can't correct ... I know, that's what the "Preview" is for, and believe it or not I do use the Preview feature but it's nice to be able to make a correction or revision after submitting a post.

Don't know if there are more important reasons not to allow editing (other than a complete delete) but I thought I'd ask to see what WN and others thought about it.
    Certainly not a "High Prioriety" issue, just something to consider in the future.

Thanks,

Dave (aka timber)

2. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

Good point!

I wish that we could edit posts too but I imagine that maybe the people that run this place are more like "scientists" and less like "computer geeks" and I admire that. ;)

But hey, if it would be an easy fix, go for it!

3. timber

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum, lots of good info here, hope to hear about your AE adventures.

timber

4. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

I will see what can be done. If it is easy to change, then we will do it.

5. timber

Josh,
    "low priority" ... thanks for taking note.

timber

6. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

I just spoke with Ron and he has been working on this ever since Murray pointed out that the forum needs multiple upgrades and organization (including being able to edit posts). Unfortunately, nothing is ever simple.

This forum uses free open source phpbb code. Editing posts is unfortunately not an option for the phpbb platform that we use.

Ron is currently working on transfering the forum to a purchased software package that is a lot more user flexible and offers forum members way more options. The transition is a very delicate matter--enormous time commitment, huge risks to lose data, new platform growing pains. We have to make sure all the forum posts transfer over smoothly, that all the forum members accounts (including their settings and personal messages) transfer smoothly, that there are no broken links, etc etc. This can definitely be done successfully but it is going to be 3-4 more months for Ron to complete the transition.

In short, the forum "face lift" should arrive in late Spring or early Summer.

7. timber

Thanks for the update, not to worry, we're a laid back bunch as you know ... :D
    Yikes, sounds like a PITA ... wishing all goes very smoothly in the process.

timber

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr WindyNation Engineer