Flying as of 6/30/2010

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by TomT, Jul 6, 2010.

1. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Here is the SSR i am using
    So far no issues. I am just using it to switch from a small 250w GTI 10-30 to a 1kw 22-60v GTI. No dump load controller use as of yet.
    I am using your board which i might add works great, to switch at like 15 volts. I do suggest a 50 amp or greater relay to use just for redundancy purposes.

relay ssr.JPG

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

Well switching would be no issue.
    But for dumping they are.
    I have no idea when it shorted out.
    And I have 4 IRF-3710 in parallel right now.
    Suppose to get more wind the next few days and I will test it out.
    I will let you all know later how it works or does not work out.

(UPDATE)11/2014 The gate of the IRF-3710 needs min 20 volts to fully turn on.
    One reason why they burned up.
    They are meant to be either full on or full off.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  3. TomT

So far so good.
    I have dumped all the way up to 200 watts and the mosfets do not even get warm.:D
    Now if SunG would get off there butts.
    And setup their GTI's for 50% overage wattage into a direct short and not burn the mosfets.
    They would have a better Grid Tie.

DSCN0021.JPG DSCN0024.JPG

It is crude but for testing it is alright.

4. leamywind1

Nice work Tom. We are getting great winds also. Hopefully I will have time to play with things to get some more data to share as well. I also ordered 4 of the SSR's as i posted above at 100 amp each. I ran two off your board at the same time so far and no issues but i am still just switching GTI's. Unless the board is sending power to the SSR for a long amount of time I do not see how this set up could fail. Using just one SSR per board and a large heat sink which i have should do the job for longevity. I guess we will find out soon enough. LOL I will keep you posted. Yes, I also do agree Sun G needs to improve their dump load controllers big time.It should just be a simple set up like you/we are doing. They also should all come with a curve adjustment too.

5. TomT

Just an UPDATE and public service announcement.
    DO NOT buy the Quartz type dump loads for your GTI.
    So far the little Effsun using this quartz dump resistor has burned up a 60 amp relay.
    It welded the contacts together.
    Over volted two count them Mosfet based solid state relays rated at 100 volts while the regular resistors work fine.
    I suspected that the quart type resistance would go high too fast and allow the turbine voltage to climb instead of falling while in dump from the GTI's.
    And it seems to be true.
    The regular dump type resistors with ceramic drag the turbine right down.
    I am running both at 2 ohms.
    Another product for the Electronics Hall of Shame.

leamywind1 likes this.
  6. TomT

I switched to the regular ceramic 2 ohm resistor.
    So far with the gusty winds today it is holding at 50 volts. That is where I set it.
    The mosfets are not even warm. I have been watching it on and off this morning.

7. leamywind1

Thanks i never hooked mine up yet.....glad i did not.
    Thanks

8. TomT

Well you could still use it for a heater right off the battery or as a battery dump resistor.
    I know you are not running batteries but if you did.

9. leamywind1

Yeah your right. I do also have a battery bank 12v seperate system for em power. I have a CC Morningstar 45a for the battery system. I use that in diversion mode with an old WM dump load coil out of its controller. LOL
    I may try hooking up that dump coil to one of my SSR's on day but for now it just sits. Like you said the green coils work very good as that is what i still use. You boards are working outstanding. i have 4 o them working now with all 100a SSR's to them. I am trying out a few different switching methods right now. One way i am doing is using two 22-60v GTIs 500w and switching one on at 28v to increase load on the higher winds vs using 1 250 and 1 1kw GTI. I am not sure about an increase in power yet but no over volt thats for sure so far. I have tested up to 30 MPH winds and the voltage only got up to like 40. I have also noticed the bigger the wioe the less over volt too. I went from a number 10 to a number six and now I have yet to see over voltage even before i tried some new switching methods so heads up on that too.
    Thanks

TomT likes this.
  10. TomT

Well have 30 mph gusts here and running the new setup and fried the last two mosfet SSR's .
    So it is tied to the 12 volt battery bank till further notice.:(
    UPDATE (11/2014) These mosfets also needed 20 volts to turn fully on.

11. leamywind1

ugh!!!!!

12. leamywind1

What are you doing to make them fry?

13. TomT

I am using the last SSR I bought and the one I made for a dump load switch.
    They were only rated for 100 volts 60 amps.
    They must have been strong enough for the job.
    The new boards have been shipped. So they should be here this weekend.:)
    At 500 volts and 100 amp rating that should do it.
    No more over volt and I hardly think they can top 100 amps.
    The Mosfets are huge compared to the others.

DSCN0038.JPG

14. leamywind1

Holly smokes!!! 500v at 100amps. Yeah I'd say that should cover it. Super work.

15. TomT

Little update the boards are here.
    I tried to use a 40 watt solder iron to solder the Mosfets in.
    It sucked all the heat out and solidified the solder.:rolleyes:
    Had to break out the 450 watt solder gun to do the job.

leamywind1 likes this.
  16. TomT

OK that was a bust on the homemade SSR too.
    NO more SSR'sfor me.
    I just got a few golf cart relays and used the VCS-1H boards I had for now.
    Unfroze my turbine using a 20 volt AC 10 amp supply.
    Just hooked one wire up and switched the other across the other two a few quick times and she came loose.
    Anyways I will be leaving it this way because I am working so much now.
    Got done last night and the relays are getting a workout today.
    Wind gusts just started coming in.

12262013Setup.JPG

17. leamywind1

Sorry to hear you are not having good luck with the SSR's. I had a few go bad a s well.
    The SSR's are hard to keep alive for what we are doing. I have learned that when hooking them up not to have anything else electricly connected to them. I also discovered putting a small cap across them on the load side helps a lot with arcing. I have been more careful land i am having better luck now using them.
    It does seem a lot of them are the luck of the draw, at least the $20 one's. LOL. I fried a few but not from the coils, all from the load side with never going over the load or even close. I have found or at least I think an arc really burns them out quick no matter what the amp rating is on them. UGH!! When switching inverters I think the initial draw on the SSR hurts it somehow regarding its contacts. I interperate that as also an arc issue so the small caps seem to stop that from happening. I'm also not really sure if a DC rated SSR is any better on the load side than an AC one? I guess I ll see as all of this has to be decided with long high wind events. I have a few now even a 3 phase one so i will let you know how it goes. Maybe working with the 3 phase AC side is a better way of doing it?
    Thanks for the update

18. TomT

I have had zero luck on the DC side.
    They just do not like surge current at all.
    If this all works ok. I can always put the relays in a plastic box and spray foam them to quiet them down.
    Put the posts in the box.
    Wire them to the relay and suspend the relay in the foam.
    Keep us posted on it.

19. TomT

Also one other thing.
    I have looked at electric tow motors. They use high power transistors in darlington setups to carry the current.
    I have yet to see one using mosfets.
    Might be another way to do it. Not as cheap as a relay but doable.
    One candidate would be :

NPN Si Darlington Transistor w/BE Diode, 400V 50A - NTE99

$30.60

20. leamywind1

yes i have heard of using transistors instead of mosfets. I am not to familar with that though
    Your board, i hooked up a car relay. It chattered just like you said. I installed a 1200 uF cap 50 v and it cured it.
    Have you used a 12 v car relay off any of your boards? My car relay has an 85 ohms reading on the coil which came out to .14 mA or 1.68 watts. Is there any issue with using that relay on your board?