Dueling WindMills

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by DTGinSC, May 7, 2009.

1. DTGinSC

DTGinSC WindyNation Engineer

In the past 6-months I've gone thru many experimental phases of building Windmills. I've learned a lot about their performance, strengths and weaknesses thru research, but there's no substitute for trial and error. Thus far 2 have survived the storms that we get this way near the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and are producing energy that we put back into our house via "Grid-Tie" inverters. My systems do not use batteries for storage....yet. Because there is no power when there is no wind, I'm currently designing my own Charge Controller and will hook up the 2nd operating Windmill to a 12V deep-cycling battery to produce power even on calm days. When the winds pick up again and the windmill starts spinning, that power will then be used to charge the battery back up. In theory. So it reasons that more batteries = more power. We'll see over the next few phases.

Thru the experimental phases which include roof-mounting, then 4x4x6 post mounting, to 15-feet off the ground mounting via cables & guy wires, I've arrived at the following setup on one side of our house. 2 Windmills that each are routed to their own grid-tie inverter and tied directly back into the AC on the house side of the electrical panel.

My prototype is the one with the 3 black ABS blades and an Ametek DC motor. I designed the mounting approach myself and was pleased to see it work so well. It takes approx 6 mph winds for startup and by the time the winds reach 12+ mph they are spinning fast enough to produce 30VDC @ 8A = 240Watts. When the winds really kick in above 16 mph I'm estimating that the amps increase to as high as 10A but I haven't ventured outside to measure it under these conditions. That would mean they're putting out over 300 Watts. They do make a lot of noise and it sounds as if an airplane is idling next to my house. But to me, the sound is sweet and the tune is beautiful. Wind=Spin=Power.

[attachment=2:28xumuor]IMGA0194.JPG[/attachment:28xumuor]

Thru several in-between phases, which I won't go into here, the next "survivor" Windmill uses 5 HyperSpin 505 blades and the same Ametek DC motor. The mounting is a different approach, trying several "off the internet" vanes which failed miserably, and winding up with a hybrid of my first mounting technique and several modifications to a mount I bought off E-Bay. These blades are awesome! They have lower startup speeds of 2-3 mphs and really move in wind in excess of 12+ mph. I've measured 32VDC @ 9A = 288 Watts but again, estimate that when the winds are above 16 mph could be putting out as much as 350 Watts. These blades are much quieter as they spin, in fact, one can hardly hear them at all. I will upgrade my prototype with these blades in the very near future as they are impressive.

Thanks for looking / reading.

[attachment=1:28xumuor]IMGA0296.JPG[/attachment:28xumuor]

[attachment=0:28xumuor]IMGA0293.JPG[/attachment:28xumuor]

Attached Files:

2. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

I am very interested in your grid tie inverter(s) I run my shop off my storage batteries but I am considering not using batteries for my next towers which will go to the house. I would like to hear from you on how you rate the performance of the inverters you are using. What make are they and wattage of each. Could you venture a guess on how much of your normal household energy they make up for ?
    When you state the amount of volts / amps you are creating with your new 5 blade, I am assuming that is with no load or is that what you will get using the grid tie inverters ?

3. rajar2

rajar2 WindyNation Engineer

Hello, I was browsing the WN forum and came across your interesting posting. I am interested in a direct grid-tie application and am having problems. I have bought several individual 300 watt inverter units from China (where else?) that seem to function per the instructions when I attach them to a solar panel at between 14 volts to 28 volts DC current that these units are supposed to operate at. These connect directly to the 110v outlets in your house and push power into the grid, synchronizing the phase correctly. The LED's flash correctly when connected to the solar panel(s), indicating that power is being transferred into the grid (yet to be confirmed). My problem is that I am trying to use windpower instead of solar panels to furnish the DC current but it is not working, the RED light comes on in the Inverter and it never goes to GREEN lights. Yes, I am using a rectifier to convert the AC voltage to DC. I have been told the system needs a small battery to maintain a constant voltage? I have tried this but it has not worked. I tried an 8.4 volt with a 6.3 volt battery = 14.7 volts nominal. How to connect properly? What is the wiring diagram? Can you help?