DIY Wind Generator Noob!

Discussion in 'Windtura Generators' started by DonMcJr, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr WindyNation Engineer

Hello! Don here. I'm making my first wind generator. Need to keep a 12v gel cell battery charged in my tower deer blind that powers a cigarette lighter inverter that powers a wireless Ip camera that watches and records the deer in my food plot from the comforts of my living room 500 feet away.

I have the blades made, the hub in the making, the charge controller and dump resistor on order and have a pmdc motor I think will work.

It's 90 volts, 5 amps @ 1700 tons.

What do you think do I need a different motor?

45 v at 850 and 23.5v @ 425 rpms which would be 11.5v at 212 ish rpms.

Am I figuring right? Thanks in advance!

2. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

You need 340 RPM to charge the battery.
    You have to figure in the 80 percent efficiency rating.
    The actual voltage needed to charge a battery properly is 14.4 volts.

3. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Even at 340 rpm, you should still be OK. You will want to keep your blade diameter around 50-60 inches (that's diameter, not radius). At that diameter and with good blades, you should hit charging voltage in 8-10 mph wind.

4. DonMcJr

Perfect! The blades I made will have a 60 inch dia.

Right now on a full charge and a 5 watt solar panel charger the camera runs about 3 days. If I parallel another 12v battery and add the wind generator it should run 24/7.

Thanks ill post pics and progress once the hub is done!

5. DonMcJr

For anyone interested here's a video from the wireless camera that I'm gonna power with my wind generator. There a lot more videos I made there too if you're interested in hunting and fishing...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSc6XLtf_mQ

6. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Now that was net ! Is the camera movement sensitive

7. murray2paddles

I ment NEAT !

8. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Yes, that is neat. Its an interesting application for a remote monitoring system.

One thing that might be a problem is that I know deers get frightened fairly easily. The sound of the blades spinning on the turbine might scare them off? I really have no idea but I think it is something to consider. Maybe solar panels would work better here?

9. DonMcJr

Thanks...tweeking my wireless router and messing with antennas for it and the camera was a chore!

I run the camera 24/7 but it does have a motion activated sensor I'm just not sure it will activate if a deer walks by at 40 yards.

Got the whole generator done just waiting for some free time to raise it. I have pics but can't post them here at work.

As far as the noise...I'm thinking the deer will get used to it by next fall.

10. DonMcJr

if it works here's my work in progress

11. murray2paddles

it did not load !

is it all natural browsing or do you have feed stations ?

If it were stations or a salt block that should let you bring them in for some real close ups.

is the motion sensor within the camera ? Can the sensor be remote to the camera and be placed closer to the feed area and allow the camera to have a wider view ?

obviously I know nothing so that is why all the questions.

12. DonMcJr

I plant food plots such as a field of clover that specially blended to attract deer. So the food plot should attract them enough to have them get used to any extra noise. plus the road isn't far away and cars going by doesn't phase them.

The sensor is on the camera...ill have to activate the sensor and walk the back of the field and see if it works... that would save me some battery use!

13. DonMcJr

Here's a Pic of the Wind Generator and my Tower Deer Blind...

[attachment=1:laenvwtf]windmill.jpg[/attachment:laenvwtf]

[attachment=0:laenvwtf]towerblind.jpg[/attachment:laenvwtf]

Attached Files:

14. DonMcJr

I'm hoping to raise the generator this weekend is all for a well...finally have a break in the weather!