CTP-500W Hybrid Wind/Solar Grid Tie Info

Discussion in 'Connecting to the Grid' started by TomT, Jan 19, 2011.

1. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

This is my new Grid Tie.[attachment=2:1iffvnjt]CTP-500W.JPG[/attachment:1iffvnjt][attachment=1:1iffvnjt]CTP-500WInfo1.jpg[/attachment:1iffvnjt] [attachment=0:1iffvnjt]CTP-500WInfo2.jpg[/attachment:1iffvnjt]I have hooked it up direct and have had it hooked up with diode circuit. The direct connect puts out 30-40 percent more power into the grid. Compared to having it hooked up with the blocking diode. It will kick out and brake the turbine in quick hard gusts till the voltage drops under 24v and try to lock on again.
    I know I have turbulence here so I am just going to say it. Running a Windtura 500 and 3 35 inch blades at my location. When the grid tie kicks in it draws the turbine right down in 3-5 seconds and switches out till the turbine comes back up in voltage. Above 15 mph it locks on and stays with the turbine. Highest so far is 20 mph wind and everything is working OK.
    Also they say it needs 30 w solar. More like 50w before it will lock on. As long as there is more than 10.8v DC it will try and lock on even if it is only for a few seconds. I have seen as low as 1.2w back into the grid.

Attached Files:

2. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

Have you been monitoring the input voltage? I worry these guys fry when the gen goes over 28VDC.

3. TomT

Yes it has gone over 28v a few times and it brakes the turbine and shuts off till the voltage comes down. Just like the manufacturer told me. :D

4. TomT

Have been playing around with the Grid Tie with no battery connected to it.
    I took the 4 capacitors I had left and hooked them up to the positive and negative of the GTI.It will work with one but the more capacitors added the longer time to charge and discharge. I found out that now it does not brake the turbine like it used too. The GTI drains the capacitors down then as the turbine spins up it charges the capacitors. Giving time for the GTI to kick in. Then while the capacitor discharges and the turbine is starting to add current the turbine rpms slowly come down. It does not have the sudden braking and release on the turbine like it had. Also the voltage so far has not gone above 23v during 24 MPH gusts. :D
    Part 2
    I added the solar panels and at 50w or more the turbine free wheels and just adds current to the GTI. No actually forced slowing down. :D :D
    Only problem if you have capacitors and panels hooked up at the same time and the sun is out the output is reduced. :(
    Guess time to move way up North so I only have to unhook the capacitors every 6 months. :lol: Not every morning.

5. Minnesota

6. TomT

Well I tried 1 then kept adding them and it got better the more I added. But it does help with just one.
    Today the 2 120w panels were putting out 115 w in the 2 front windows. That was the MAX. It hovered around 80-90w from 10am till 3pm today. No wind. There is a little shading top and bottom and the center. They are in my double hung windows till spring.
    Sounds funny but kinda sounds like an old percolator coffee pot with the oscillator hum and the fan being pulsed every few seconds.

7. TomT

Also forgot to mention it updates every sec or two.
    The voltage varies about 2.5v and the wattage only about 5 watts max. That is from 50w up to 120w that was the best range today.

8. TomT

-Since everyone wants to know about hooking grid ties to batteries. You can hook this one to batteries but it takes up to 15 secs and it only goes to 50watts before the current regulator will not allow it to go any higher. :cry:
    -Also tried batteries to inverter to transformer to grid tie. 220w and after about 30 secs the 25 amp rectifier got hot enough it could burn your fingers. :eek:
    -No I did not. :D
    -Transformer was 24v at 10A with no regulator it probable was starting to draw alot more.

9. Minnesota

That is interesting that it clamps at 50w. Wonder how it knows to do that when it wouldn't if a solar panel was connected instead - even a 500W one. :shock:

10. TomT

Unless it is programed to do that after it samples the current first before connecting and dumping to the grid. Then shuts it down to a low level as not to burn it up.
    Cause when the turbine is going it clamps it down.Also with the transformer it goes up to almost the rating of the transformer.

11. TomT

After watching a few videos on the SunG 500w for wind. I am beginning to think this hybrid is just a solar with voltage and amp protection added. Any wattage below 50 and this thing just drags it to 0 watts in a few seconds. In the videos of the SunG it is cruising along at a few watts and seems to be just fine without dragging it down. If you had 50w of solar 24-7 this GTI would be great.

12. TomT

Went to 5 blades and it is now locking on at about 10 mph and holds till the wind drops off.

13. ghammer

ghammer WindyNation Engineer

Tom I have a 600W GTI just like yours all I want to do i to have overvoltage protection. I have a 24V 500W wind turbine with a rectifier driectly to my GTI. and it fried it. I got a gust of wind that created close to 50volts going into the GTI. do you have any simple suggestion for over voltaeg protection.

help. anyone?????

respectfully George

14. Andy R.

Andy R. WindyNation Engineer

I'm new around here but it sounds like you might need some "Battery Clamping".

15. TomT

Mine has gone over voltage a bunch of times and has not fried yet.
    Had to tie it direct to the solar panels without a rectifier again to keep it lower than 28v. Panels are not heating up. I tried 24v battery but it still goes over all the time. Today I am getting gusts from 5 mph to 30 mph in 3-4 secs and then dropping off. I hope to get a 22-60v SUN GTI for wind soon so I can hook it up right. Seeing 350w today on and off. New tail is working good.

16. TomT

Update...... Mine fried last night looks like 4 mosfets shorted in the input. :cry: Earlier I was checking it and when it went over voltage with the other inverter connected they both went to 0 Watts into the grid. Can only guess that this grid tie shunts the over voltage thru the input mosfets to slow the turbine. So will have to use a disconnect to keep this from happening.
    They are going to send me parts to fix.
    I will be using a disconnect on it when I get it fixed or replaced.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/volconswit.html
    I am buying an active high disconnect from this place. I will be setting it to disconnect and let everything go to the 22-60 volt inverter.

17. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

Hello Tom,
    I was just wondering would'nt be easier just to get an inverter that disconnects like i have spoke about at the voltage of 30v or 60v rather then adding all kinds of controls? :D

18. TomT

I am going to try and repair this one. The disconnect is only 76 dollars. I am hooking the 22-60 volt GTI and 10.8 - 30 volt GTIs together with the disconnect inline on the 10.8-30v. If it does not work for me. I will use the sun 10.8 - 30v GTI with external dump load.

19. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Larry, it just makes me feel real good we went the way we did, by using a battery bank for clamping volts or doubling up on inverters in the same volt range or a combination of both methods. This garanteed us of NEVER experiencing volt overload or the need of a dump load !

20. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Told tom if he used more than one GT that wouldnt of happened.Some people just dont listen Mur :lol: