Car PMA

Discussion in 'Start here' started by leamywind1, Apr 4, 2012.

1. leamywind1

leamywind1 WindyNation Engineer

I challange
    Multiple honest video's with a car PMA, good wind site, tower, proper blades, all hooked up to a wattsview or watts up meter on the DC side that can do the following analog meters do not count. Battery or grid tied. No modifications to the manufactures turbine kit, only out of the box results, all at or under 32 MPH winds.

1600 watts at 12v-14v @ 114 amps
    1600 watts at 24v-26v @ 61 amps
    1600 watts at 48v-52v @ 30 amps

800 watts at 12v-14v @ 57 amps
    800 watts at 24v-26v @ 30 amps
    800 watts at 48v-52v @ 15 amps

500 watts at 12-14v @ 35 amps
    500 watts @ 24-26v @19 amps
    500 watts @ 48-52v @ 9 amps these two i see as a possibility.....maybe

Who's up for it?????:)

2. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

... and with a 60-inch rotor, right?

3. leamywind1

Yes, 60" rotor. It has to be out of the box from the supplier. No modifications like blade changes or any other wacky ideas.

4. Darn it!!!

I was half expecting B1lly with his new MW&S Dual PMA and Raptor G3/G4 (or Falcon Mach IIIs) to step up to the plate and post a 1080p, 60fps, 3D YouTube video by now.

What a letdown!! :D

5. leamywind1

Yeah me too. I guess we will just have to wait to see if another person can do it. The trick that they are all missing is the car PMA needs to be ran atleast at a higher voltge of a system. Maybe a 48v system if it has any chance at all. I do not beleive until proven wrong these types of wind turbine delco style alternators can produce these outrageous numbers.
    Someone please prove me wrong. :)

6. sent my 1600watter back i saw a solid 150 watts out of it once in 25-30 mph wind about a 1/16 of what its rated :(

leamywind1 likes this.
  7. Stop it!!! You're killing me!!!! :D

8. leamywind1

Guy's this is not to bash any company i just want to see the true facts.
    Please keep it clean and informative:).
    Thanks

9. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

It's a bit sad really, if these car PMAs were cast in another light (without all the hype and snakeoil-type sales techniques) with realistic expectations and sold for what they are, they could be very advantageous in bringing more folks into the wonderful world of AE. I like the idea ... to see something as common as the auto alternator recycled into another product, a product that can assist in the AE learning curve, produce enough power to charge a battery (automotive, boat, lawnmower, or perhaps even a smaller RV) and act as a step in learning how AE systems work.
    Watching people become interested ... then become disillusioned due to false expectations and advertising is a real bummer though.
    It is a "buyer beware" world out there but I think we all know at least one person or another that has fallen for the hype and/ or purchased one of these, thinking they would perform much better.
    With the money charged for some of these car PMAs (and auxiliary hardware) a person can (with a bit of research and due diligence) put together a pretty nice first PMA system that has much more potential than a car PMA.

I hope you find someone to meet your challenge Leamy, it would be nice to be proven wrong about the otherwise very poor performance of these units.

leamywind1 likes this.
  10. all most it took alot of phone calls and threatening to get the bank involved got back everything but 80 bucks after about a month.Frigen pma all rusty after being up only a couple weeks also inside and out:(

11. leamywind1

Glad to see ya got a refund. Now what will you do for a turbine system?

12. You can check Ian channel on youtube..He made a new vid about the watts he can get with 60 inches hub..

13. leamywind1

Thanks Dave, I put up this challange to get the real facts. This challange covers all who own or manufacture them.

14. leamywind1

Thanks Alain, Ian's system does have a nice tower location however his ystem does not qualify for the challange. His turbine is modified and he does not have the correct meters for the challange . It looks like he is getting great power as well as promoting wind energy which is great but their is alot to be specluated about his system. Thanks again for bringing his system to the challange. How about you, do you have a wind system?
    :)

15. got da 750 on da way! I live on the north shore of maui if wind dont work here then good luck anywhere else.
    p.s. leamy u da man!

leamywind1 likes this.
  16. Yes but recently the municipality make my tower dropped of 8 feet..I`m not in the heart of my neibers actually..The tower was at 30 feet and now sits at 22.
    She just clear the rooftop of my garage and dont turn anymore...I`m in process of moving rural and having a mix of wind turbine...A VAWT and a HAWT both on high voltage...I already have on hand a 1400 amps 12 volt battery bank and 640watts of solar panels....But the location i`m at now is just not ment to have wind turbine..

17. oh yah i made a facebook page missouri wind "n" solar so if u want to trash talk em feel free to do it there ha!

leamywind1 and ecar like this.
  18. Do you say that because he has more amps than anyone????I study his vid and he has the right shunt..Clear wind,good tower hight,he`s in the wind required for the challange,the anemometer is on his rooftop..That guy meet every requirement ask for the challange..Why reject him???Every other setup i have seen on youtube is not the ULTIMATE place to have a wind turbine...

19. What if he shows you a digital showing 50amps or more???I dont want to play elbow game here,i just beleive he need to explain how he get there...
    I know for sure that car pma need more rpm to show amps,but after 500rpm that`s where the beast come out of them...I think that`s why he used 6 blades.

20. leamywind1

Mr Alain, Please stick to the topic at hand.
    If Ian is up for the challange i am sure he would post. Please let things happen naturally. If someone wants to post their readings ........they will. No battles here. Please take them else where if you are not confined to helping the cause or playing by the challange rules. How about you, are you up for the challange? Can you share your wind data with us to help?