Arbor Question

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by timber, Apr 29, 2012.

1. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Hi,

I've got a 1/2" shaft on a motor but would like to mount a hub with 17mm (5/8") hole (i.e. 5/8" threads).
    This is the opposite of the arbors that you normally carry. (1/2" or 5/8" shaft on motor to 1/2" threads)
    Do you have any information on where to get an arbor like this? I've done some looking but not found anything of reasonable quality.

FYI - This needs to be R/H thread.
    Looks like I may need to make a spacer to go over the 1/2" threaded portion so it will accommodate the 5/8" hole in hub (like they do with saw blades). Rather not go this route if I don't have to.
    Thanks,

2. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

Dave,
    I could get the machinist we use to build you the spacer for about $10-15. While this is not cheap, it is a great rate considering the machinist will only be making one of these.

Note that 17 mm is 0.6692 inches and 5/8" = 0.6250 inches. I assume you have a 5/8 inch hub you want to mount?

3. timber

timber WindyNation Engineer

Hi WindyGuru,

That is a great rate and I really appreciate the offer.
    Let's hold off on that right now, however, I think the following is the ultimate solution here.
    Either get a Hyperspin (5) blade set and small hub or get two more Windgrabber blades and a large 5 blade hub (I currently have a 3 blade Windgrabber set).

I'll need to find out which of these combinations will help me make the best of lower wind speeds.
    If the (5) Hyperspins have enough torque to get my Windtura 500 started (under light to moderate load) in 6-7 mph winds that's probably best so I can get higher RPMs too.
    If the (5) Windgrabbers will start easier under the same conditions I should go with them.

So far, as you might expect, the 3 Windgrabbers work the best of any blades I've tried on the Windtura

Thanks,