Any 3 phase ac motor as a turbine?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bluejay, Jun 11, 2010.

1. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Assuming you would use LARGE blades and gearing.Can I use any ac motor thats 3 phase and 60hz? I found a nice 1 hp thats only 860 rpm and should put out 800 watts at peak?.thank you in advance for the shared knowledge...

2. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

It depends. What type of motor is it? If it is a permanent magnet motor it should work well.

But my guess is that it is an induction motor and that will not work. Do you have any more details/specs. on the motor?

3. bluejay

is that because it has brushes that would wear out? I am just starting to learn about this stuff but KNOW NOW THAT ALTERNATOR PMA's are junk..Would make a good gas gen "head" but for direct drive wind.they suck..I am thinking of your pma and a sprocket idea..If u bolts have 2 sets of nuts thru the bottom board you could adjust the tension..From here on out I will mimic what the big boys do. Direct drive doesnt have the rpm I want but does have the torque potential...

:cry: If I would of bought solar panels instead all this wasted money into wind I would be producing 3 times more daily but>>>>>>what about winter :x ..

4. bluejay

5. bluejay

6. irv

irv WindyNation Engineer

I am using the WN 500 low wind pma , it works nicey in my location , ( low wind and other things in the way , like trees and buildings ) . What i like about it is , totaly enclosed , matched blades , easy to mount , low rpm , and a very good price . you will spend much more on a good battery bank , charge control and wire than the pma costs .

7. bluejay

Dont get me wrong..i now have cash to purchase a windy pma..I now have all the parts to run it at a 4:1 ratio. Putting out the max all the time..I wish they had this style of PM motor at a 1kw output..Will gearing it up with 10 foot blades burn anything up? I went with a 40 tooth sprocket to a 10 tooth sprocket on the PMA..I will post pic up once all of it is together...I still need 2 pillow blocks and to build a encloser for the 2 levels of framing. :geek: :geek:

8. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Please keep us informed on the gearing. I am really interested in your project to increase the potential power of these turbines.