750w Permanent Magnet Altenator

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MSOChristian, Apr 4, 2011.

1. MSOChristian

MSOChristian WindyNation Engineer

Hi, everywhere I look Batteries come up. Personally I do not see the advantage of generating ac power, convert it to dc, store it to a Battery, then back to ac again using an inverter ?

Couldn't I just use the 3 phase ac right from the Alternator ?

Thank You
    Tony

2. fixitguy

fixitguy WindyNation Engineer

no sir..the AC is "wild" it will fluxuate.maybe 50 volts this minute maybe 180 the next.

3. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

Technically WN pmas are the 48v versions from effsun...Thats why they are capable of pushing out up to 30-40 amps..so that is the max volts you would see from wind..

4. fixitguy

fixitguy WindyNation Engineer

see i didnt know WN was clamped at voltage...what do i know.

5. bluejay

bluejay WindyNation Engineer

The thickness of the wire determines how quickly volts are made but thicker wire determines amps. You would have to spin it faster than wind would to get much higher voltage than 50 ish..

6. WindyFAQ

WindyFAQ WindyNation FAQ Staff Member

How is the load and no load test conducted in the 750W PMA? Explain with circuit diagram.

7. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

If you want to test a generator (e.g. a wind turbine or a permanent magnet alternator) under no load, you can measure the open circuit voltage. I have attached a diagram for how to do this:

rectifier open circuit voltage.png

If you want to test a generator (e.g. a wind turbine or a permanent magnet alternator) under load, you can measure the amps generated at a specific voltage. The voltage will be determined by your load. I have attached a diagram for how to do this:

load test generator.png

8. Minnesota

Minnesota WindyNation Engineer

Is there an open voltage and short circuit current vs. rpm chart for the production 750 PMA? There really should be one if it is sold as a standalone product.