3 to 5 Blade Setup

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TomT, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TomT

TomT WindyNation Engineer

If I already have a 35 inch 3 Blade Windgrabber
    Will they sell me 2 blades and a large 5 blade hub?

2. murray2paddles

murray2paddles WindyNation Engineer

Tom, I can only tell you what I did. I was able to get two more blades and the large 5 blade hub to upgrade from the 3 blades / hub.

3. TomT

Thanks.
    I just wanted that posted to keep a bunch of e-mails later down the road. I know you can't post price as that would be subject to change.

Tom

4. offgridsomeday

offgridsomeday WindyNation Engineer

Hey tom, Ive been wondering the same thing, I have the wn 500 with the original 30" blades and am looking to get the grabbers but cant afford the set of five right now. I was just wondering if u started with the 30 "s . Also wondering how many amps you are getting, I seem to only be getting about 6 to 10 amps on a really good day. I'm trying to charge an 880 amp hour battery bank. I also have 400 watts solar at about 23 amps and it has no trouble sending the voltage to 14.5 or more if i would let it. Any way, im in the same boat, want the grabbers but hope i can get two extra and the five blade hub if 3 dont cut it. Any thoughts or comments appriciated. How big is your battery bank. Mine is 8 golf carts from sams, very pleased so far. Cant wait to get wind working properly.

5. TomT

Mine are 530 amp hr battery bank. I haven't had any wind for the past 2 weeks here. The high pressure cells have been sitting here in northeast ohio for over the past few weeks and the wind has been calm or less than 5 mph everyday.

Will have to see how it works out when the weather changes.

6. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

We can definitely sell two blades and a 5-blade hub. We are pretty much willing to customize any type of order for our customers.

7. offgridsomeday

Thank you so much winyguru, I will be purchasing three grabbers and hub soon. Also tom, thanks for sharing info. I live in illinois and we havnt had a hole lot of wind for a few weeks either, but each storm that blows thru gives me some decent power for an hour or so. Thanks again everyone.

offgridsomeday

8. TomT

Me this is what I'm looking at day after day. A storm was headed our way.
    But wait look could it be another high sitting over Ohio and Noooo wind. :shock:

Attached Files:

9. murray2paddles

offgridsomeday,, hope to talk to you soon about the windy 500 charging your battery bank.
    Really interested in the difference between your solar and wind amps.
    just very busy right now.
    Will have final testing results on the 3 to 5 blade very soon.
    murray

10. offgridsomeday

Thanks murray2paddles. Yeah any help or info would be greatly appriciated. Any info you need from me, please ask. Whenever you have time

Thanks again,
    offgridsomeday

11. murray2paddles

3 Blade to 5 Blade Testing
    has been completed on the Windy 500
    With the 5 blades the Windy was picking up wind at approx 2 -3 mph.
    Cut in was in the range of 5 mph.
    The 5 blades preformed quite with no wind lift noise in winds exceeding 24 mph.
    So my greatest concern for use in an urban setting was put to rest.
    What I was looking for was a little more torque using the 5 blades in lower winds to produce more power.
    Although the pick up and cut in was very good in low winds this does not translate to usable power ( amps)
    In the 7 to 12 mph winds it appeared that usable power was kicking but I have problems in measuring AC amps / DC amps to give you accurate readings.
    I do not have a V meter nor an Amp meter set up & wish I did.
    My bottom line would be, I would not change to the 5 blade for all the reasons I was looking for.
    The 3 blade produces ample power !
    What I have learned is, if your wind is low to low medium or just comes in spaced intervals, maybe we should have invested in Sun Solar and not Wind.
    Poor power from Wind does not mean a poor product, it might well mean we did not match the type of green energy that best suits our environment.

12. offgridsomeday

Thanks murray for all your hard work. I just raised my tower another 12 feet and it is making a nice difference. With all the info you gathered Im still going with the 3 grabbers. I was really hoping to see some difference in amps from the five blade in higher winds like 20mph. But like me you have no way to mesure accuratlly. Ive been looking on ebay for some amp gauges like I see on youtube but not much luck. Any way with the tower being raised, Im seeing more consistant open voltages of 40 to 60 volts, and my batts are charging a little quicker when the wind is present.

One last thing, at the bottom of my tower I have about 40 feet of extra drop cord coiled up on the ground, just wondering if u thought i would be losing amps because of this. I will b getting an amp guage soon so I can post some real results. Yeah thats the cord hooked between turbine and batts.

Thanks again everyone,
    Please keep testing and posting

offgridsomeday

13. BeachBum

BeachBum WindyNation Engineer

Guys,
    Pictured is a 400 Amp "True RMS" Multimeter, made by Ideal. You can buy it at Home Depot for less than $100. including tax. It comes with probes or you can clamp on a single wire. I've had mine for about a year, and it works great.
    Answering the question by Offgrid, yes you will lose power by having 40 feet of extra wire on the ground, other things to consider are multiple wires together in a coil or worse yet in direct sunlight. If you are going to keep the extra wire in case you decide to make you tower taller fine. Just keep the wires spread out, and in the cool shade.
    Murray, was your test done on the 500 or 750? I was planning on buying a 5 blade grabber just to try it our in my wind here at the beach. Are you recommending against it. I have a 3 blade 28" and feel I may have gone too small.
    Thanks,
    BeachBum

Attached Files:

14. murray2paddles

Beach: my test was on the 500. I was already using the 3 blade grabbers. Now that the 5 blade is up I will leave it in place. I have no doubt I will be getting some extra amps from the 5 blade in the higher winds, just do not think it cost effective to expect better usable amps in the lower wind speeds.
    The reason I am confident in the good amps in higher speeds is because I am using a 5 blade wind grabbers on my 750 and as stated in other links it constantly goes over the 1000 watt limit on my SWEA inverters. So I am not afraid of losing power from 5 blades stealing wind from each other in the higher winds. I also went with the 5 blade for the 750 believing it just needed more torque to drive it vrs the 500.
    Thanks for the info on the meter,, I purchased one on Ebay last night from the link that Josh provided.
    No I did not go ahead with my sun solar yet, will explain more in an email.

Offgrid: Good info on what happened by raising your tower.. Now that some of my testing is done ( have one more project coming up with Windy soon ) then I will be raising one or all my towers another 10 ft minimum.
    What is your tower height now and what changes if any did you make on your guide wires, did you have to move the anchor points further out ?

I agree with you and Beach to go ahead with the 3 blade grabbers or if you have the extra cash try the 5 blade also, for the 500. I had no complaints about the 5 blade grabbers, just did not see the increase in power I was hoping for in the lower winds. For the Windy 500 I would not reccomend less than the 3 blade grabbers.

I have used the 5 blade 28 in on three other turbines such as the Windblue, Presto and Lesson 180 and they worked fine. But they required much less wind grab and produced much less power. I had tested the 3 blade grabbers on the Windblue and Presto some time back and found they over powered those turbines. Windy then suggested to customers not to use the larger blade on the smaller type turbines.
    I was really interested in your earlier post on the lack of amps from your 500 going into your battery bank vrs what your solar was producing. But now that you have shared that you are using the smaller 28 in blade and have raised you tower most of my questions have been answered.

EXCEPT, I also find my Windy 500 slow to produce usable amps into my battery bank also. It is a 1030 amp hr bank, so I suppose there is a fair load for the Windy to push into.. ( I don't know, I am just trying to sound smart) During an illness in our family I did not attend my batteries as I should have and they ran down. Now that I am home again I find they do not want to recharge properly. They seem to have taken on a memory of being low and deciding to stay there. I have begun trying to recharge them with plug-in chargers assisting the turbine to see if I can cycle them and recharge to put them back to accepting a full charge again.

The amp meter, I purchased on Ebay last night the one that Josh sent the link on. If you did not get that link let me know and I will forward it to you. A little less than the one that Beach told us about, then that one from Home Depot is an instant purchase, still affordable and no waiting for delivery. If you live close to an Home Depot. Our closest one is 500 km trip so bought on line.

Well the end to another short story, enjoy the day everyone.
    murray

15. windyguru

windyguru WindyNation Expert

I think the meter that Beachbum showed does not measure DC amps (only AC amps). It does look like it has a spot to read DC volts. Beachbum, correct me if I am wrong.

One thing to rememeber about power and amps is that the power available in the wind increases as the velocity of the wind speed cubed. As an example, compare 10 mph wind to 20 mph wind:

10^3 = 1000

20^3 = 8000

There is 8 times more power (Watts) availabe in 20 mph wind compared to 10 mph wind. The moral of the story is that if you double the wind speed, there is 8 times more power available.

That does not mean you will harvest all that extra power but is does mean that the power you turbine will produce scales exponentially with the wind speed. If you want to create more amps at 10 mph, then we will have to get started on a 1000 Watt mill with about a 10 foot diameter blade rotor.

Still, wind power is definitely better than solar if, and only if, you got wind. A 100 Watt solar panel makes 100 Watts at peak power which is probably around 3-4 hrs a day. This is when the sun is high in the sky and there are no clouds. Contrast that with an average wind speed of 12-13 mph. You might only get 70 Watts into a 24v battery bank but you are getting that wattage for 24 hrs in a day compared to 4 hrs for solar.

If you do not have decent wind, then definitely wind is not for you. You should go solar.

16. offgridsomeday

Hey murray, about your low batterys, A friend of mine that is totally offgrid had the same prob last year, and I had it a couple weeks ago. It seems once the batts reach a certian low point they need alot of extra amps to make back over the hump where wind and solar can keep up again. My friend is lucky, he has an iverter charger 100 amps. So he fired up generator for two hours and was good. Myself , I had to wait for a sunny and windy day, shut off all loads and added an old heavy duty 30 amp battery charger for most of the day and now im back to solar and wind keeping up. As far as I can figure out, lead acid has no memory, just very stubborn after a certian low point of charge is reached. If you can give em a big boost for a little while you should be fine, probably a good time to equalize. Cant wait to get the grabbers. By the way i was probably feeding 65 or 70 amps all day to get my batts back over the hump. Good luck, let us know if u get them back up.

offgridsomeday

17. BeachBum

BeachBum WindyNation Engineer

My meter measures DC. If you look at the round dial moving clockwise from the OFF switch, it measures Amperage, Continuity, Resistance, AC Voltage, and DC Voltage (the last setting at the top of the dial). Not a Fluke, but I would rather spend my money on a Windy750!
    BeachBum

18. murray2paddles

Offgrid,,, my batteries are back again. They will now take enough charge to trip the controller, now to monitor how much of that load they will hold on there own when the charge is removed.
    They are AGM glass matt, with no gas off when charging.

murray